Hi PG …
You asked me to advise if I was able to advise more on this.
It’s been a while and this timeline thing would not show its head no matter
how much I edited (mastering is my job by the way).
However, it has just happened again and I have more to report. As promised, here are the details:
Again, it only seems to occur when working within the Spectrum Editor.
I suspect it be triggered by using the cursor to ‘zoom out’: that is, ‘pushing’ the
cursor against the time line ruler to zoom out horizontally. I was looking at the screen and saw
the ruler values change as I was doing this.
I also experienced the event when positioning the cursor for replay of an edit (that is, not using
the pre-roll function), but in this case the timeline display did not immediately change as it did
when ‘pushing’ the cursor against the timeline ruler.
Another thing: after the error has presented itself, if you change to the waveform view
the error is initially preserved. That is to say, the ruler displays the same incorrect
timeline values that were present in the Spectrum view when the waveform screen initially displays.
But then, if you use the Ctrl+arrow down command to zoom out horizontally to display the
whole waveform, the error is immediately corrected (meaning that the timeline ruler then displays the
Changing back to the spectrum then displays a corrected view also.
Similarly, if you remain in the Spectrum display and use the Ctrl+arrow down command to zoom out
horizontally to display the whole waveform, the error is immediately corrected.
Either way, it is then possible to continue as though nothing has happened. This includes resuming edits in the
Nothing is lost and WaveLab never crashes.
It is still not possible to reproduce the error again at this point.
I deliberately did not save the track until after I tried all these things. To allay any doubt it
saved fine. I also closed it and re-opened the saved file to double check all was OK: it was.
Also, it does not appear to have anything to do with the amount of unsaved work on the file (data in memory etc).
I save ‘early and often’ … a legacy of doing post in ProTools … and the last time it occurred there was but
one edit performed since the last save. And, this machine is almost new and has 4gig of good quality RAM which
we’ve tested (to help you exclude this from your considerations).
I keep detailed settings notes from session to session so I was also able to compare what I was doing
to the last time it occurred. The only thing in common were plugs, but these same plugs had been used
on most jobs since it last occurred with no ill effect.
And, of course, when it last occurred I was simply unable to reproduce the error at the time, as
was this case on this occasion.
To allay any doubt, this has never occurred when working within the waveform display … no matter how intensive the editing may be.
It’s interesting behavior.