Will An Upcoming Neundo Up the bit rate above the current 48k Regarding

Atmos operations? As this type question is well above my pay-grade, I’m just curious as an innocent simple bystander watching this world advance by leaps & bounds past me!

I think it’s a Dolby thing, not Steinberg.

Correct MattiasNYC! An Atmos ADM WAV can only be created in 48K. The only format that allows for any different would be a .atmos file. These can be done in 96K but are only for archival purposes and must be converted to 48K for any home theater distribution.

Thanks for the info! Guess it may be awhile which will give me time to try and grasp this beautiful future in audio production.

Interesting … thx for the Info Rexler.

Am just questioning (myself), whether the following applies: Is it a general fact, that Dolby Atmos in Dolby-TrueHD is Immersive Sound at just “normal” sound quality (48khz), and not any kind of HD (96kHz)?

Anything that has been designated to Broadcast has always been 48kHz. While higher sample/bitrates might be an advantage during production, there is absolutely no advantage in broadcast.

Fredo

And though this isn’t my primary field I seem to recall that actual specs for reproduction of sound in Dolby certified theaters ends at 16kHz +/-3dB or so. So pretty far from the 40kHz+ you would get with a 96kHz sample rate.

In other words even if we produced high-frequency content for theaters nothing above 20kHz would likely be reproduced. I’m betting the exact same thing is true for home theaters.

That was in the times of Dolby SR.
Today, with DCP, everything is fullrange.
But it is correct that the speakers in a Theatre couldn’t care less about frequencies above 20kHz.
The barking of the neighbours’ dogs would ruin the theatrical experience.
:slight_smile:

Fredo

Yeah, I think you guys’ thinking is all right.

I am coming more from the home theater side, with a focus on HD-Audio (music). This is were my questioning comes from.

Sure, there is also broadcast and cinema, which are very likely the larger market segment.

Am just starting to look more into the “binaural listening” of Dolby Atmos material. This is partly driven by the likely fact, that there are only few customers out there, that have a true 3D-Listening Environment at home. I mean with an AVR and e.g. 7.1.4 speaker set. Not the pseudo-setups with a sound-bar. More and more “listeners” will use mobile devices (Android, iPhone) with headsets.

And for binaural listening, there is usually DD+being used, which is not HD-Audio (I mean beyond 44/48 khz).

Using Dolby Atmos via DD+ (broadcast) my be fine for movies in home theaters. For music, it is (for me) close to a no-go. Feels like a race car with tyres from the super market sale.