Will Cubase 6 have docking windows?

A good docking implementation would allow windows to be floated as well, for those who don’t prefer docking and prefer to be inefficient (totally joking guys/gals - just taking a jab at those who gasp can’t stand docking!).

But anyway a docking implementation should allow floating a window as well.

I think we can all agree if docking ever came about, we should have choice. It is clear that some of us want this feature and feel my pain, although we all have different windows we want to dock.

If you want to call it whining, fine!!! The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Come on Steiny! Give us the dock!

Cheers,
Lumen

In Skype it doesn’t work.

I’d be happy for a docked layout but only to have the transport bar “docked” first, otherwise in my view at least there are much greater priorities in relation to this whole question:

a) Always on Top for windows that don’t have it
b) Elimination of modal dialogs completely from the application
c) Implementation of sizable VST windows

Whether the last point is for 3rd party developers or Steinberg alone is another (related) question.

Cheers all

Now that I agree with %1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
focus hogging modals are the devils spawn.

Exactly. Whatever the reasons are, it could be MUCH better. Drives me nuts!

Why there is no “Always On Top” option for the pool escapes me. just another Problem that needs to be fixed first please before more plugins and features are thrown on top of the already collapsing heap, but instead not addressed and left floating…

What still does not make sense to me is that the Beat Designer does not have an"always on top" option!
It cannot be dragged to my second monitor unless I do not have the main window maximized. Perfectly stupid if you ask me.

Cubase forces you to constantly move around, resize, and hide windows so docking improvements would be welcome. Check out Logic for docking done right.

Cubase forces you to constantly move around, resize, and hide windows

that’s my problem too (like at least 50% or more of the users)…
the way the manual decribes it, ie to create a default project with your own size of various windows , just don’t work as it is described, you maximize something and the settings are lost.

and workspaces don’t allow natural operations like double-clic on a midi event to open the midi editor (which still opens like everyone had quad-scrteen setup :astonished:… ) , it obliges to create key-shortcuts to open various workspaces…

anyway, if steinberg doesn’t hear the cries… it’s weird though…
Even though I have ordered the C6 upgrade, I am setting up Reaper 3.x at the moment, because eventhough ugly, the UI is just as it should be for poeple like me… And Reaper actually makes me feel I have a powerful PC now, whereas cubase is still sluggish on w7 - x64 (Cubase x64 works less good than on XP 32… I understand very well the thoughts of users asking about going back to XP 32… I wondered the same, but gone the REaper way as I want to have more than 4GB ram for live plugins) …

so cubase will be used for variaudio, but not as a main DAW anymore as it is replaced by Reaper just because of those annoying windows behavior that Steinberg does not seem willing to make evolve :-/
may be melodyne vst plugin is just as fine as variaudio or even better ?

+1

Haven’t upgraded since C4 just because of the messy windows handling.
Would be happy to trade in all new features and ‘improvements’ for a better work-flow on a multi-monitor setup.

Seriously, I started using Cubase more as a MIDI-sequencer (like in the old days), and VePro Virtual Instruments, Samples, Audio Software - Vienna Symphonic Library as a mixer / VST host. There are several advantages:

• less need for the dreaded mediabay
  • less frustrations with disappearing mixer views
  • much faster loading times of new / different projects because of VePro’s terrific Preserve feature.