Will Halion one instances run on Cubase 6?

I’ve ordered Cubase 6 today. Although these questions won’t stand in my way of using it but,

1. Can I still run Cubase 5 projects that include instances of Halion One on them?

2. Can I still use Cubase 5 if I have installed 6?

3. Halionsonic SE - are these new samples compared with Halionsonic full which I already own? And is the SE version less CPU intensive?

Cheers
Al

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. I’ve no idea :wink:

Thanks. Regards question 1 will halion one work with cubase 6?

Yes, you don’t have to do anything else once you install Cubase 6, just leave your C5 installed and C6 will find H1 (no need to install it again from the H1 disc that comes with C6). People without an already installed H1 (e.g. from C4 or C5) can optionally install it from the disc that comes with C6 – handy also for those building a new system and wanting backwards compatibility.

Now this is the hard question! I compared a project that used 4 H1 instrument tracks and one Embracer with the same project using 4 MIDI tracks into one HSSE, and one Embracer. The patches are the S90ES piano, Music Man fingered bass, Stereo GM kit and the “Lovely Ensemble”. The latter seems to have been tweaked a bit, but overall I can’t say the difference jumps out at me – at least not with that small selection of instruments. Nevertheless the S90ES piano alone is worth the entire H1/HSSE :smiley:

As for CPU usage, both versions are very low on the ASIO meter, so it’s really hard to tell … I’ll look for a better test with more tracks. First impressions though are that the HSSE version is harder on CPU, however this must be offset by the fact that the HSSE patches all have their own reverbs etc., so I’ll be turning these off, using multiple audio outs from HSSE and then doing sends from the mixer to one or two reverbs instead, at which point I’d expect less CPU hit.

I believe they both run the same engine. Just basically no editing in HS SE.

Of course I am not “in the know”, but, since you can load programs from HS into SE… and they did update HS to version 1.5 right before Cubase 6 was released. :wink:

Aloha aljames

Re H1 here is my take.

Yes C6 will open and play C5 songs that use H1 and you can still tweak the H1 GUI as normal.

But here is where it gets a lil tricky:

If I decide that I want to load a new sound into H1, I only get a small number of sounds available to me. Most of the VST Collection sounds cannot be accessed.

Of course I did the Media Bay re-scan thang etc. Still no luck.

However all sounds can be accessed using Hse.

So yes H1 will play back properly in C6 but is somewhat limited after that.

HTH
{‘-’}

My experience too. It seems you can’t change patches in a project that used H1 … I assume this is to encourage users to migrate projects to HSSE. I don’t mind, I want to do that anyway … a multi-timbral HSSE is way better than multiple H1 instrument tracks any day!

I had the same problem following an upgrade from C4 to C6 so I copied the presets from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Cubase 4\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\HALionOne

to:

C:\ProgramData\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\HALionOne

which resulted in HalionOne in C6 showing all presets. I’m not sure if the “problem” is by design or just that HalionOne in C6 isn’t looking in the right place for the presets, perhaps it would be different on a clean install.

Interesting … I notice that there’s no “VST3 Presets” in the C6 folder.

I did the same thing on the OSX platform…except I only copied over the HALionOne folder. That’s because dragging the entire VST3 Presets folder doubled up listings in everything else. I’m posting this because the pathways are a little different on the Mac platform.

This is what I did:

Applications/Cubase 5/Contents/VST3 Presets…copying the VST3 Presets folder to:
Applications/Cubase 6/Contents.
Then I opened the copied VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies (Applications/Cubase 6/Contents) pathway and deleting everything but the HALionOne folder.

My HAlionOne preset count then jumped from 41 to over 700.

Yeah I played around a bit with this and have found that, on Windows 7, you need to do the following:

1. Find the folder that contains the H1 presets from C5 (this is typically “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\HALionOne”)

2. Open a new Explorer by holding down the shift key while clicking on the Explorer icon

3. Locate your personal Steinberg folder (typically “C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies”)

4. Copy the folder you found at (1) above to this location

5. Run Cubase 6 and open MediaBay (F5), and scan the location (under File System).

You should now be able to load H1 and select patches as before.

Aloha

WOW!

Mac and PC users sharing file structure movements etc.

Who’da thunck it?

I’m learning a lot.

Tanx guys
{‘-’}