Will you upgrade to Win 10?

I said “I believe” and a quick search results in the following: If C/NET & Business Insider are right then the quotes below sums it up. I guess -paid “extended support for businesses” - is what you are saying still exists. Notice the word “business” ie. enterprise. Personally I don’t use W7 so I don’t really follow it or care.

“Unlucky for some: it’s 13 January 2015, and that means the end of free support for Windows 7.
Happily that doesn’t mean your computer is going to automatically break or stop working, but it does mean Microsoft will no longer offer free help and support if you have problems with your Windows 7 software from this point on. No new features will be added either.”

BUSINESS INSIDER said:
The end of support generally means no more updated features or performance improvements, unless you are covered by extra “extended support.”

UPDATED: Microsoft has promised to provide security patches even after it ends mainstream support, through 2020. What is ending is design changes, warranty claims and no-charge incident support.

This move will mostly affect consumers. Businesses get extended support and will get all updates for another five years, until January 14, 2020.

How many accounts do u have? Lol

Seems there is a sprinkle of truth in it…:stuck_out_tongue:

Two, and depending on which computer I’m using. WillB and WillBthr. At least I figured out how to make the signature the same. I wish I could figure out how to get rid of one (this one I think carried over from the old system) that was created way back in the Nuendo v1.0 days.

Seems there is more than a “sprinkle”. My previous post is correct based on the MS link you’ve provided.
I started on DOS OS! I’ll bet they’ve dropped support on that one too. I’ll check back with your MS link.

Yes could somebody please be specific about how it is nicer. No need to be exhaustive, but what are the top 3 or so things that you find nicer about it compared to Win7?

Yes, the issue for the early Saffire interfaces isn’t with Firewire itself. As I understand it, the issue is with the Focusrite drivers for my particular model (Saffire LE). Focusrite makes this clear on their website and from the forums I have read no one has made this interface work in W10. I am getting quite low latency with my present system and really don’t want to buy a slightly updated Firewire interface just to switch to W10, W7 is fine. I may wait for the “MS Hologram” operating system, I think it is due in 2020 :wink:

Thanks.

Have been using win10 for nearly a year with no show stopper issues.
There have been updates that temporarily disabled the start menu, some quirks with Bluetooth, but nothing a quick Google search couldn’t resolve.
one computer running on the insider fast lane, did change some dialogs to Chinese instead of Danish, but was corrected in a matter of days with a new update.
My experience so far has been good, faster GUI, stability and most importantly better performance with Hard drives and LAN. I have yet to discover a program that will not run, but have discovered installers that get confused and refuse to install a program.
Issues I ran into when I upgraded my win7 daw computer was:
Drivers, the device manager showed all devices without any yellow exclamation mark (all seemed to be ok) but when going through every device property, some had a “further action has to be taken”
Those devices used generic drivers, and updating those drivers made a huge performance improvement.
Workgroups, when upgrading win10 will use your existing workgroup (hash), but as the upgraded win10 machine is seen as a new computer it can not connect to others in the workgroup. And it can’t be removed as long as other computers are seen on the LAN.
I actually got so fond of win10 that I trashed my iPhone and bought a Microsoft phone.
Before you think fanboy, I’m writing this on my iPad Air :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

I’m really conflicted on this one, I’m not sure if my Midex8 will run on Windows 10; the newest driver is for Vista 64 and works fine with Win 7 64. I’m pretty sure everything else would be fine.

Has anyone managed to run the Midex 8 under Windows 10 64? I’m thinking it would be pretty costly to replace if not.

Regards,

George Wood

Midex8 is reported to run great on win10, the newest driver is for win8.1

Is anyone running a dual-boot Win 10/7 setup? If so, how is it working?

My Saffire LE (v1.6 drivers) works fine on W10, when it works at all. It’s definitely got a bit random since the upgrade but once it works it doesn’t fail mid-session. It goes through phases which a shutdown and restart usually fixes (restart only usually doesn’t).

Win 10 upgrade did not work here at all. After rebooting the System got caught in an endless Loop.

Big poop.

Sorry, Ernst

Thanks for that, I’m pretty sure the rest of my software is Win10 friendly.

Regards,

George Wood

Thanks, this is the first I’ve heard of anyone making the LE work in W10. I’m still on the fence since my W7 is working so well.

ill only use windows 10 when i get a new pc and only if i cant get windows 7/8

■■■■ microsoft and their bs tactics

i would probably buy a mac before using win 10

Speaking as a programmer of 25 years experience, its easily the best thing MS has done, windows 10 is generally not as resource intensive as win 7 (which is contrary to what normally happens i.e the newer software performs worse on the same hardware due to bloat, with win 10 its the opposite) , I assume this is also the same WRT music production.

from a quick google found this (though very old version of win10 thus it should be better today, but nonetheless its easily outperforming windows 7)

(edit more links found)
http://blog.cakewalk.com/sonar-performance-with-windows-10/

I have multiple monitors, with 4k resolution, windows 10 handles this far better than windows 7, unfortunately cubase doesnt yet support high DPI

Not me!

http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

If that is your information source you might consider expanding your horizons.

LMAO

If there’s a better, more comprehensive and expert source, you’d better let us all know about it.WillB. Give us the benefit of your superior knowledge and wisdom. BTW I’ve been researching this spyware for a couple of years now as I’m always suspicious of free lunches, and my horizons are fine thank you.

Since reading this thread, though, I beginning to wish I’d imaged my old W7 disk. There were no problems on W7 but now… Oh well, schoolboy error.