Win 11? Nuendo 12..? And backup questions

Hi.

1. Is it a good idea to go from Windows 10 to Windows 11 ? Is it reliable? Pro/cons?

2. Wich version of Nuendo 12 is safe to install? I am still on 12.0
    since a lot of reports said that 12.05 is buggy…should I wait to update?

3. An easy and safe way to backup my DAW, the whole thing. My Win OS ,programs…a mirror of everything on my system to be installed on an other harddrive in one go…? From an external USB drive.

I asking here because we are dealing with computors for music and I am sure someone here has a smart way to secure your DAW …

maybe foolish questions but…
Micke S.

1. Pro: not sure, there is some… maybe the new design, if you like it.
    Cons: without an MS online account, it lacks a lot of comfort compared to Win10.

2. There were a lot of bug fixes introduced in between.

3. A professional backup solution would help.
    And/or a NAS. Some have a combination of backup software and storage.
    And you can use the NAS as the archive for older projects.

My 2 cents;

1. If your system supports Win 11 then ‘yes’. Eventually Win 10 will stop being supported so why not get onto 11? I have no problems on 11 that I didn’t have on 10. I also don’t mind having an account to sign in, I find it convenient.

2. I’m using 12.0.51 and it’s fine.

3. You probably want to somewhat tailor the solution to the system you’re using. I’m using Backblaze to backup my documents plus project data and sfx and samples etc. That’s a cloud service. It is not a way to restore an operating system however, so it’s more to get the safety of having important data backed up off-site. For local backup I use Macrium Reflect. It can do all sorts of backups including a system drive image that you can restore, and you can locate those images/data sets on external drives if you choose to. Mind you that with something like that you still have to set up a way to run Macrium in order to restore the data. It can be done off of a USB thumb drive though - meaning if you have a terrible crash and get a new sys drive you can boot from the thumb drive and restore the system drive from a different USB drive.

Ok!
Great thanks.!

Eeeh, Yes I can “upgrade” my fairly new PC from 10 to 11 but…if I do, must I install everything again?
Will it be like a clean install which removes or does not see all DAW Related installed programs??

I assume there is somewhere to find out how to tweak and get rid of all unnecessary stuff regarding WIN 11? …any recomendation?

Don’t think so.

My opinion on this is that people freak out over what they think is problematic software on Windows and then they go “tweak” things without fully knowing just how it affects the OS. A fair amount of guides are also a bit suspect, recommending 3rd party software to install as well as getting rid of things needed for updates etc. So to me at least “less is more”… (although you and I know very well what Yngwie have to say about that)…

But anyway, there’s a guy named Pete who’s on Gearspace and works for Microsoft who’s also into music. He has a guide that is really reasonable and if you want to go through a new install and tweak it then his guide is the only one I’d recommend:

Unofficial Windows 10 Audio Workstation build and tweak guide - Part 1 - Windows MIDI and Music dev (microsoft.com)

2 Likes

I have been working with Windows 11 for a year without any problem. I still recommend a fresh installation of Windows 11 and a complete reinstallation of everything so that you don’t carry the garbage from Windows 10 with you.
Make a list of all the programs you need, including all license numbers. If possible, backup everything on your hard drive to an external disc. Windows 11 runs better.
In any case, save the settings, macros, shortcuts within Nuendo on an external disk.

1 Like

As mentioned, you can just upgrade 10 to 11. It works very well. We’ve done it several hundred times at work, I did it on my home system which is what I run my DAW on.

As for tweaking, I also agree that you shouldn’t really worry about it or spend time going overboard. The guide linked is a good one, but one to follow in order and only move on to the “consider” things if you are having issues. Don’t go nuts with optimizations if you don’t need to. You can make things worse.

The only optimizations I personally do are to disable all onboard hardware I don’t need. The WiFi, onboard audio, that kind of stuff., and to set it to max performance when using the DAW. I also keep my system and firmware up to date, but that really isn’t optimization that is just good computer maintenance.

You’ll find that as CPUs have gotten more and more powerful, there’s just less and less need to try and go crazy on optimizing things. Sure, in the Windows 98 days when everything was slow and multi-tasking was bad, you wanted to shut down EVERYTHING you could. Now? No, no need and most of those background tasks are doing something for your system.

The biggest two “optimizations” I’d recommend (which are on the list) really aren’t. They’d be:

1. Have a good audio interface. It makes SO much difference. You will solve way more issues with a good interface than any amount of messing with the registry. Driver and hardware quality matter. RME are pretty much the kings, but there are plenty of other good choices.

2. Turn up the ASIO buffer unless you have a real good reason not to. As he mentions: 1ms is about 1 ft in the air. So is the difference between 64 samples (1.33ms at 48kHz) and 256 samples (5.33ms at 48kHz) REALLY noticeable to what you are doing? If it is, could you instead just move the speakers closer, or wear headphones, and call it good? Ultra low latency is the thing that starts to be a big stress, so long as you can tolerate turning up the buffer a bit you often find there are no problems. My new system works fine at 64 samples, but the realtime gauge is pretty spikey and I wouldn’t want to try it with a big amount of plugins. 128 samples runs just fine though, very low and stable realtime load and it only gets lower with higher latencies.

Most of the time I see someone having a bad time and wanting to “optimize” it is either someone with a system that’s just too old for what they are doing, or even more likely, someone with a mediocre audio interface convinced they need to cut the ASIO buffer to the minimum. Even when you are playing live, you generally can tolerate some latency. I mean when you play electric guitar, how close do you stand to the amp? Any distance adds latency, yet it really isn’t an issue to be 10-15 feet away. However sometimes people over-focus on cutting down latency and it causes them headaches that just aren’t necessary.

Also also something that to note is that the actual latency you get can vary quite a bit at a given buffer size depending on the card, because that is only one of the buffers they have. Some implement more or less safety buffering and that can change things. So you can find a card that runs fine at “32 samples” because while the ASIO buffer is that low, it has a big 'ole buffer that you don’t see. It can vary even between OSes. Like RME sticks an additional safety buffer on their stuff of 32 samples on Windows, but 24 samples on MacOS. Sounds like MacOS is lower latency, but no, because on MacOS there’s also an additional Core Audio Safety Offset of 24 samples so 48 samples in total (you can shorten it to 12 samples, so 36 total, but at risk of clicks).

1 Like

Wow!
I am really greatful for your serious input.
Yngwie is right but it depends on what you are dealing with😁

I have a RME Ray dat card and adi 8 … as you mention, i can record guitar at 32/64 samples no problem. Mixing with many plugins , raise to 128 , 512 samples

The best to you all
Micke S.