Win 7 looks ugly? How can I ... ?

At last, you still have to check (maybe you did but didn’t mention it) in the Bios to verify your CPU is not throttling.

I was not able to find such a bios entry…? Is it called different?

If your SSD drive supports the TRIM functionality (google is your friend), I would recommand to use the AHCI mode.
It will not improve the drive performance but will limit SSD performance degradation over the time.
TRIM mandatory needs a compatible OS (like Win7) and Microsoft AHCI or INTEL AHCI drivers to work (still not operational with AMD AHCI driver unfortunately).

Anyway if your audio drives use the same SATA controller, check that AHCI does not have any unwanted side effects for your audio disks…

Cheers,
Bernard

• 1 - no problems with Aero here on my nearly 4yo DELL dinosaur. :ugeek:

I do think it would be nice if the window and border styles in Nuendo were “modernized” - they do look a bit clunky, but I’m over it.

[OT]
Nice to see you back here Steve :wink:
[/OT]

Cheers,
Bernard

In the BIOS disable C1E and/or EIST functions.
C1E is an advance halt state, and EIST is an acronym for Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology.

What’s your Mobo make and model ?

Cheers,
Bernard

Absolutely!!

Yes - those windows inside Cubendo are looking bad - all the other stuff can be set up totally nice…

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

I did research regarding C1E and stuff but 50% say “disable” and 50% say NONONO, leave it enabled…

No Brandy, set it off.

Hot Swap means while running… so it’s all good, you can hot plug a new disk caddy while on a windows session.
I use caddies inside my rack comp (including system disk since this DAW is also a “Hackintosh” on demand) but also got this for the backups. With an e-sata connector, you can backup on the go to plain internal 3,5" & 2,5" hard disks without even using caddies with the same performance an internal sata disk would get.

OT on/ Great to see you Bullmoon ! But you too Bernard and Brandy ! Whishing you B guys all the best for 2011/OT off

Well, regarding AHCI - what about that?

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=17209&highlight=ahci

jschild absolutely recommend NOT to use it. But that was 2008… Maybe things have changed…?

/OT: Sorry that I currently only ask and ask and ask - but I am in panik mode - I am sold out here completely, I HAVE TO upgrade my computer now but don’t have much time, last time my system was up and running in one or 2 days, incl all Software - now I am 4 days and nights - researching, learning, testing, installing, deleting… Sorry guys - and thanks again - I would be lost without you!!

Hmmmm, well, Jschild is a pro DAW builder and knows his sh*t obviously, but this is a 2 year old thread. I don’t get interruptions using AHCI today.
I’d like to know his take on this today, but I trust my experiences as well. Windows 7 is a “modern” OS and I reckon it has AHCI in mind. We sometimes keep old habits or beliefs by “conservatism”. Nowadays there are much less points to optimize than before like when I used to chase every mb & cpu cycle eating process because the comp would gain 2% of it’s 512 MB of ram and 0.3% ot it’s Cpu cycle… :laughing:

Yes things may have changed with Win7.
Even Scott has changed his mind.

Christoph don’t panic - we are here to help you :wink:
Sure you are on the right way.

Cheers,
Bernard

For a DAW set it off
We don’t care about Power Saving (…sorry for the Earth…) for such application and CPU will run at full power and capacity all of the time - seems to be a better choice for real-time applications (predictable response time, etc,…)

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks. Feels good. Its too much over here.

I was working two sessions a day - 10 h regular band and after that another session till 2:00 am - for weeks, and it will not get better for a while - usually upgrading a DAW is a no go in such a situation, but the old was FULL and this with active in-work sessions - two arrays of Velociraptor Raid0, so no way to just put in an extra HD - maybe USB but well… It was f*ckin time to go on with the i7 / Win 7 stuff, and all of a sudden I had a small cancellation (lyrics are not done, have to record the stuff later) and I thought “thanks Universe” - but these 5 days I wanted to edit and mix two other albums which I otherwise don’t know when to do (except at night) - well well… In the same time - this day I had a File System Error on my USB Stick which contains my eMail database from my mailapplication - I use to be mobile - because of the stress I did not made backups for 2 weeks - today, bang - “this drive is not formated, do you want to format now?” - then I spent 3 extra hours to check all available Data-Restore Applications, even the demos of the more expensive ones just told me “there is nothing on the drive”. So - basically I lost all correspondence of 2 weeks, incl dozens of important mails which I was not able to answer right now. In the middle of that Chaos I received that beautiful mail from TC - it could not be a better time :laughing: Well, after really panic, not that far away from some very unmasculine tears and generally overworking I now feel like maybe better break into laughter finally - haha, funny thing - nothing really bad happened - I will use it all for the best, regarding eMail - time to try that IMAP thing, would fit my situation better I think… but like other situations it is often hard to make a cut, and regarding the DAW stuff - I missed 5 years of “up to date” because I had a good computer and I was just doing audio, recording, mixing, mastering, no computer tweaks… If I had just bought a DAW from a distributor (I thought about that) or if everything just went well in 3 hours, well, I would NOT have learned that much. Usually you learn the hard way…

/Cry-Modus off.

Sorry for the OT. That has to be said… Thanks for beeing there!! I will sort that out I know.

Haha, I had overseen that - great!! The B guys Haha! Bullmoon, Bernard, Bifop, Brandy - great stuff :slight_smile:

:wink: The fab four !
Where is Mr Boceno ? We miss a Musketeer.

EDIT: Regarding Hot-Swap:

Yes, I stepped over an similar adapter as well - but for now I have bought a 2TB external hard drive with e-Sata - the docs are telling me: “you have to shut down the OS, eSata is NOT hot-swappable”. So with AHCI and Win7 it is possible…? Cool! That makes backup faster. I backup daily with Retrospect - and USB, usually this is fast, but for the weekly backup on another drive it may take a while esp when you recorded tech-deathmetal drums with 50GB of files in that week…

DANG!! I changed to AHCI using that trick with the registry and now the system drive is rated as 7.7 out of 7.9 :slight_smile:

Great ! :slight_smile: Your sleepless nights will be rewarded !

Ha - I have been here - I was just lost, stumbling from room to room, looking for anything recognizable. :confused:

As soon as I had my Windows 7 machines running I “reverted”
to classic mode. I am very happy with it this way, I have always preferred
the robust look of the Windows classic (call me weird, lol)

cheers