Windows 10 2004

Upgraded my rig today - no issues.
I did back up first though, bios as well! :wink:

Folks, since when is it normal for Microsoft to make BIOS changes? :open_mouth:

Excellent question! In all the years Iā€™ve run software updates on other programs, Iā€™ve never had the core elements altered in such a destructive way. Only the morons at MS would do that.

Ok so I am actually not the only one to whom it happened. I thought I was going crazy, the night before all good, the next morning blue screen recovery optionsā€¦ And this is without even going full 2004 Windows Update but just updating system drivers and suchā€¦ I immediately uninstalled and ran back to the previous version. Things it changed to me were the following:

• BIOS completely reset and changed the boot management order (cause of blue screen recovery)
  • Immediate UI lag in Cubase and overall performance

Take this how you will but be warned, Windows permissions go further than expected and may cause issuesā€¦

The guys that built this machine suggested that itā€™s a actually a hanging / flawed restart process thatā€™s causing the problems. If the machine doesnā€™t restart cleanly it can force the bios to drop into failsafe.

I had the same in Win7 and Cubase 10.0.60. During operation, the computer suddenly turned off, then refused to turn on, a message appeared about changing the settings in the BIOS. This was when importing MIDI tracks. Strange, Iā€™ve never had it before. The computer is not connected to the Internet, so itā€™s not a virus, but something from Cubase if the same happens in Win 10.

I see on my machine, 2004 has just been offered for the first time as an available update. Is it getting less risky to update, from the experience of those whoā€™ve done it in the last few weeks?

Thereā€™s this weird graphics bug that seems to be affecting multiple Steinberg products, combined with the fact that W10 2004 is not yet a supported platform for Cubase (as of November 29 2019).

thanks, I might as well stay on 1903 for the time being though I see support stops in December for this version for home users.

Version 1909 is very stable for audio, better than 1903 on my machine.
i will keep using this for a while for as long as possible.

2004 just had some major bugfix KB released. Maybe it is better now.

Hi
If i pass to 1909 from 1903 as an update ā€¦ do i will be force to rinstall Cubase 10.5 ? ā€¦ or it will be ok !
I ask because i just install 1903 & cubase & i dont want to do it again !

I donā€™t think you can do that (easily) as it will go straight from 1903 to 2004.

No, but after the update, run the eLicenser once ā€œas Administratorā€ (or just download and install the latest version of the eLicenser)

Ok Thanks for your fast response ,appreciated ā€¦ one more thing if i may : can you tell me how is the size of 2004 or even 1909 ā€¦ i donā€™t have unlimited internet provider & iā€™m also limited to 5 Mbps as speed ā€¦ slow but ok !

Ok Thanks for your fast response ,appreciated ā€¦ one more thing if i may : can you tell me how is the size of 2004 or even 1909 ā€¦ i donā€™t have unlimited internet provider & iā€™m also limited to 5 Mbps as speed ā€¦ itā€™s slow but ok !

You would need about 35GB free space, but later you can delete the older Windows version (via Disk Clean-up)

Should be fine, as Windows updates download in the background, so you can just continue working.

No probs with Cubase running on 1909 or 2004.
My main prob, like many stated fĆ¼rther up, was the OS update from 1909 to 2004. After trying 4 Times and having bluecreens all the time I decided just to leave the system and wait. About 4 weeks ago the update popped up again and run without any probs.

My bios settings were not altered by this update.

My bios settings were not altered by this update.

Mine sure as h*** were!!! MS probably woke up to their 2004 issue with the update totally messing up the BIOS settings. The original update supressed the EUFI settings in favor of the Windows Boot Manager and the power save mode was turned on at the BIOS level. Totally stupid on the part of MS but then again, thatā€™s their typical speed.

Hi guys, I recently installed windows 2004 and cubase doesnā€™t show full windows, well yeah, just a white line on the left side of the mix console, it is solved by opening and closing the window. My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce 710 with the latest drivers, released on Wednesday. Someone else happens and found a solution?

I use Cubase pro 10

Currently the only solution is to go back to 1909, as Cubase 10 is not yet supported on anything newer. See also this warning about the upcoming 20H2.

ā€œ[ā€¦] we strongly recommend waiting before updating your Mac or Windows computer until the entire compatibility chart for all Steinberg products has been made availableā€.