Windows 10: audio dropouts on multi-core CPU setups

That you do not have this problem. On a 12 core machine you need at most 12X2 + 4 is 28 mmcss threads so 32, which every machine has is enough. 16 cores with hyperthreading are the lowest core count to have this isuue.
But… are you running win10 on your mac? And what problems do you have?

Suggest that this topic (locked) be posted in the “Computer/Studio Hardware Setup” section of the forum.

I’m not sure why my other post about this was deleted but I will suggest it again as I see several topics in the “Computer/Studio Hardware Setup” section of this forum where the poster might benefit from the knowledge shared here.

Regards… again. :sunglasses:

It does work…as I have used it on more than one system. I now run my 10 core without hyper-threading enabled and I just leave the last core (core10) restricted from Cubase. FYI-If I try to restrict core 0, it will crash cubase.

I am not likely to go over 100 tracks in a project, but I do have some resource consuming plugs and VSTs. I have not upgraded to 9.0.20. Still sitting on 9.0.10.

I’m pretty sure this issue effects “logical cores,” which are physical + hyperthreaded cores - which means I have 24 logical cores, and would be affected. This was discussed on page 1 of this thread, unless I misunderstood.

And yep, running Win 10 on the Mac. Recently upgraded and definitely noticed more performance problems then under Windows 8. I’m doing this partially because Cubase generally performs better under Bootcamp, but also because I’m working on a few game projects that require I have quick access to a PC environment. Just made sense to work in Bootcamp.

I’ve tried it and it doesn’t work for me unforuntatelly

Sorry no, the problem starts with 28 logical cores. So 12 cores with HT is unaffected. 16 cores with HT is affected though. The limit is 14 cores with HT. I agree about bootcamp being a good idea! But the way Microsoft is managing win 10 (frequent forced updates that break things badly) I am staying on win 7 as long as possible.

According to Steinberg the problem starts with more than 14 logical cores, not 28.

How many cores do you have and what are you setting the affinity to? What you must understand is the enabled cores are based on the binary representation of the hex number you put in the command lime, the cores are from right to left, lowest to highest.

For example, for an 8 core machine the cores would be numbered 7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0 and turning the bit on enables each core, so to use cores 0 to 6 you’d need to flip bits 1-7 on, 01111111 in binary = decimal 127 = hex 7F - “7F” is the affinity you pass.
for a six core machine to use cores 0-5 you’d need to flip bits 1-5 on, 011111 = decimal 31 = hex “1F” and so on.
Cubase will crash if core 0 (bit 1) is disabled and it seems to prefer contiguous unbroken strings of enabled cores.

I have the dropouts also. I’m running an i7-3820 with 4 cores (8 logical processors). I tried the audioengine.properties, but it didn’t help. (no surprise)

These are big honking work-halting dropouts too. Hoping for a fix soon.

Disabling hyper-threading apparently was the trick on my computer.

Before when I was recording, like just a single stereo track, I got “recording error audio drop outs detected” now and then.

Yes, 14, as cubase starts 2 MMS threads per logical core found. If you are an Intel user and have hyperthreading turned on then you have twice as many cores as your cpu has physical cores. If you’re an AMD Ryzen user and you have SMT turned on then again you have twice the number of physical cores on the cpu.

The audioengie.properties file really works for me. Running C8.5.30 I can work very well.

My problem is still Cubase 9. I can’t downgrade to Win8.1 cause this workstation is a fairly new, dedicated Audio PC that came preinstalled with Win10. (and I don’t wanna install everything from scratch, either)
C9 still gives me cpu-spikes/audio-crackles all the time, on all my sessions.

One thing bothering me in 8.5 is that playback stops for a moment whenever I open/close a midi-editor window. This doesn’t happen in C9. But… unrelated, so nevermind.

Cubase should use the new method “CPU Sets” for several processors under Windows 10.
https://books.google.ch/books?id=y83LDgAAQBAJ&lpg=PT376&dq=Windows%2010%20and%20Server%202016%20introduce%20a%20mechanism%20called%20CPU%20sets.%20These%20are%20a%20form%20of%20affinity%20that%20you%20can%20set%20for%20use%20by%20the%20system%20as%20a%20whole%20(including%20system%20threads%20activity)%2C%20processes%2C%20and%20even%20individual%20threads.%20For%20example%2C%20a%20low-latency%20audio%20application%20may%20want%20to%20use%20a%20processor%20exclusively%20while%20the%20rest%20of%20the%20system%20is%20diverted%20to%20use%20other%20processors.%20CPU%20sets%20provide%20a%20way%20to%20achieve%20that.&hl=de&pg=PT376#v=onepage&q&f=false

Another Doc from Microsoft (Online)

In addition, I would use only one physical processor for these “low latency” processes.

Temporary solution:
Manually you could limit Cubase to one process per processor. This can be done with “Set Affinity”.

You can start Cubase with a shortcut which starts the program with “Set Affinity”.
https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40339-cpu-affinity-shortcut-program-create-windows.html

By the way, who would like to examine what his computer does when playing multimedia: Microsoft has published a new tool “Media eXperience Analyzer” for the analysis of audio and video glitches. Very interesting Video Tutorial:

more docs: Optimieren von Windows-Geräten für Multimediafunktionen | Microsoft Learn

With the new i9s incoming, do we have any news on this issue?

Personally, I’m on a hex-core (6 physical + 6 virtual), and I also suffer dropouts from time to time, dropouts that weren’t there pre 8.5/9. They seem to be related to network activity, so my problem may be unrelated to the thread-issue, but even so, I’d like to see some general updates.

r,
j,

Well I chose a hex core processor precisely to avoid this issue without having to muck around, so far (touch wood) I haven’t had a single hiccup. Projects that would max out my old fx8350 with 2048 buffers, run at below 25% cpu with 64 buffers! Which is nice.

I’m using a 4 by 4 i7 and Cubase 9.0.20.
Did some recording and went to bed and of course the computer went to sleep.
After I and the computer woke up lots of dropouts and I couldn’t record anything over a few seconds, completely unusable. (Recording Error: Audio Drop Out Detected.)
I shutdown the computer and started it again. No problems.
Somethings not restoring right.

Don’t use sleep mode on a daw computer, it might work on some setups but it’s better to be sure and do a reboot before using your daw.

So Microsoft announced Windows 10 Pro for Workstation with extended support for multi core/CPUs:
https://blogs.windows.com/business/2017/08/10/microsoft-announces-windows-10-pro-workstations/

Would this address this issue?

Would using more than one process for it solve anything? Would that also solve the DLL link limit?

Sure hope this won’t be a permanent issue.

I discovered the source of my glitching problem was a particular Omnisphere patch!

A project with a single track of “Light As Air” will put my CPU speed up to max and the CPU usage to 100%, with glitches every 10 seconds. Anybody else seeing this?

I have a project with 7 Omnisphere patches and 10 EW Hollywood patches that runs fine at 30% CPU usage. Adding a single “Light As Air” patch brings in glitches, even if it’s the ONLY patch. I just checked about a hundred Omnisphere patches, nothing else raises the cpu more than a few percent.

I also limited my quad core CPU to 3 hardware cores (or 6 cores counting the hyperthreads), and that reduced the patch glitching by a lot, but it was still there. I don’t know how useful that reduction will be in the long run, but I am now running this browser, Photoshop, my weekly backup, and few other things on 1/4 of my cores, while my lovely project loops along with zero glitches no matter what I do. And that’s on a 5+ year old, generation one i7 that is probably 1/3 the speed of current models. The only downside I can see is that the two cores not available to Cubase (1 hardware core and 1 hyperthreaded core) get hammered hard when other programs are running. Will I get problems from localized CPU heating? I dunno. Running other software also slightly raises the Cubase cores, but only about 10% each.

And the mix sounds better without that stupid patch! It hitch hiked in starting with a first approximation and was forgotten. Gotta watch out for that.

PS, the Omnisphere patch glitching is almost identical in the free version of Ableton. I know patches can be ugly, but can they also have bugs? Hmmm.