Windows 10 - please do not upgrade!

Just noticed alert in Avast Free that Quicktime 7.7.7 update is available. So I tried to update in on my non-daw Win10 pc, just to see. It updatet fine, Quicktime now shows version 7.7.7 in about window. I don’t know if this was the case all the time, maybe there is some other problem hidden, I don’t know. But since Ed Doll says that “Quicktime 7.7.7 cannot be installed on a Windows 10”, this seems to have ben fixed, I was able to update QT to 7.7.7 on Win10.

Still unable to install it here. Besides, the Quicktime installer on the Apple website still dates back to June 30th. So nothing has changed.

Hi guys, i to was suffering from this problem, i did however think i solved it!

I’m using a RME babyface and the performance was dreadful. Way to high CPU usage, unworkable.
After trying several different thing the only thing that did work was changing the WDM devices settings (in my babyface control panel) from 6 to 3 (mabey 5 or 4 work to?) I have no idea what it does or mean, but it did work. Everything is working smoothly now :slight_smile: Hooray!

Hope this helps somebody.

Dave

Edit: unfortunatly, after closing down cubase the problem persist. I did however find out that the desktop windows manager session manager process is the one that’s giving all the problems. Sometimes though it seems that cubase is giving a signal to windows that audio must be given priority and then all is working fine. Hope this will soon be fixed. Btw i’m still working in cubase 6.

One more thing on Quicktime… I have a new Windows 10 installation at home and with the iTunes installation, the Apple update tool also offered to install Quicktime 7.7.6 but not 7.7.7… go figure :wink:

All working fine on W8.1 with Nuendo 7 here.
i will wait the Steinberg hub’s “Ok” from Ed before upgraging to W.10
Best regards
Michel Blanchet

Hey Ed, do you think this issue can be fixed with just a patch from Microsoft or should we expect a Cubase/Nuendo update soon? Any possible release dates? Just a little curious.

We have received a hotfix from Microsoft yesterday and will test that one over the next days. We’ll see what needs to be done in addition to that.

Ed, is that Microsoft hotfix already part of usual Patch Tuesday from Microsoft, and everybody got it yesterday? Meaning, do we all already have it, and can test it too?

It’s not out in the wild just yet. We’ll have more information on this soon.

Pete

Now it is a fortnight later …
Any cheery news on the matter?
I really want to test win10 on my secondary system.

Big K
:question:

Yes, what is happening Steinberg?
I would also like to upgrade to Win 10 now.

I don’t think that my work under Nuendo 7 will go sound better with Windows 10.
My priority for my job is Nuendo not any Windows versions.
The best thing to do at this time is waiting.
Anyway we can working in our studios everyday no?

Best Regards
Michel Blanchet

Be that as it may …
It is just a matter of time till it become mandatory for one or the other to use win 10 to run certain softwares, etc.
A forerunner in DAW softwares has to solve those OS problems a.s.a.p. And this should ideally happen in days,
not months or on St. Nimmerleinstag.
The further developement of Nuendo will be strongly connected to the lates OS, too, …not?
It is in our interest, too, to keep this in focus. Yet, we don’t get any news on this for weeks.

Big K

as cubase 8.0.30 seems to work now in windows 10, any new for us nuendonians on this?

Quicktime 7.7.8 is now (as today) available and still do not install on Windows 10. So…

http://www.apple.com/es/quicktime/download/

I won’t mind waiting if it means when 8.5 come out, there will no longer be a dependency on QuickTime, and that instead we will have something future-proof like ffmpeg using open standards.

Hello Makers of Nuendo …

Have you fallen asleep completely, now?
Is anybody actually working on this Win10 thingy, or do you want to wait for Win 2020?
Any comment would be nice … say … within the next 3 months or so …

Big K

No need to be nasty. I am sure that they would like to claim Windows 10 support too, and I would be surprised if the stress level is NOT higher than normal regarding this issue. That said, I do agree that communicating the correspondence, delays and wait times (which is definitely understandable), etc. with Microsoft and other internal findings is a good way to handle situations like this. Not saying anything is asking for unnecessary communication.

Steinberg was always good at this prior to the “Pinnacle years” (when I lived in Sweden), and even in the 1980’s without much of an Internet, there were rarely any problems knowing what was going on, where things were heading. The rep. in Sweden at the time, which was Greg Fitzpatrick, was a fantastic source of information (and many other things!!!). BTW, I don’t know if they represent Steinberg anymore (I no longer live in Sweden).

Any findings, good or bad, let us know, there may even be positive feedback making its way back into the mix.

We can handle it, and so can Steinberg!

Not nasty …

I run a business and in no way I want to spend my scarce sparetime to cuddle
with SB to get any info about win 10 compatibility.

Politeness would demand that they give us insight in the progress they make in this matter.

C’mon, … it’s been months, now… Flogging them with lilac branches will not make them
any more agile to solve the blasted problem.

Big K

With due respect, there is no problem. Windows 7 and 8 are still fully supported.