Windows 10 - Still Waiting

Even if all audio stuff is 100% compatible with windows 10 while the video engine depends on QuickTime and that no longer installs in windows 10 cubace can not be compatible and Steinberg and Microsoft can do nothing about it short term
I’ve been running here no problem with Cubase and windows 10 but I don’t do video work.

Hippo

I have just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10. Interesting by prone to issues - freezing mainly.
I will give it a miss until next year when perhaps some of those problems have been dealt with.

Can you please elaborate on the claim that it “doesn’t take advantage of Win10 at all”?

Hippo, a rare visit :slight_smile: !!

I have QT 7.7.7 running in Windows 10 and do video work with it. I agree that you can’t install QT 7.7.7 or 7.7.8 in to Windows 10 if you haven’t already had it installed in Windows 8.1.

As so many have said before, QT and Steinberg have to part. VLC should be a candidate (I think Reaper already uses it?).

QuickTime works fine in win10 it’s just the installer that doesn’t work.

Thanks for sharing this info. I too have a 128 GB SSD system drive, so you just saved me a lot of pain. Cheers…

BaseCu, you can delete that windows.old folder after upgrading (this folder is a backup from your former system). Here a guide to do it:

For what its worth… I tried that REMOVE WINDOWS.OLD routine but it would not allow permissions and it did not work

That’s where I had given up and bought the new 256 SSD

try to run disk cleanner with administrative privilleges. Another tip is running a Linux live CD just to acess and erase that folder (not sure if this will work)

I’m running CS6 (mainly using 'After Effects and Premier) with Steinberg CuBase for Final Mix and music production, and here’s the issue, which is not new…
Over several years I have accumulated many VSTi instruments and plug-ins (which has not been cheap) and invested considerable time learning how to use them effectively. Now, none of the 32bit apps work with [CuBase and Windows 10], but many of these apps have a 'Stand-alone feature which work without issue on 10.

I have seldom (fortunately) experienced software failure on Windows 7 and Cubase using these VST’s, so what’s the game here?

Personally, I don’t think this is a 'Windows 10 problem (it’s like Microsoft saying 'We no longer support USB 2, so you will all have to buy new USB 3 hardware and tough cookies if you don’t like it.) I don’t think Microsoft is quite that stupid or arrogant, which I can’t say for Steinberg.
It seems that the 'VST Bridge is the problem, and instead of addressing this issue in CuBase (vis-a-vis jBridge), you have to upgrade/ purchase VST 3 plug-ins. So, the only conclusion I can draw is that Steinberg is creating this problem (or refuses to address it) to unilaterally force its 'customers to fork out money for 64bit VSTi’s. This begs the question - Virtual Guitarist 2, Virtual Bassist 2 and several NI instruments that do not have 64bit equivalent versions?

So, it seems the choice to run CuBase on Windows 10 is one of 'is it worth it? – And, as I really won’t accept being strong-armed, it’s perhaps time to cut my losses and move to the competition.
Avid Protools and Cakewalk Sonar are looking very good right now. Hopefully the issues are better addressed.

Well NicM, I am running a bunch of 32 bits plugins on Windows 10 pro 64 bits without problems (Steinberg bridge). Can you tell us more details?

WoW - how did you do that?
Tried to load a Quad mix I completed a while back and it just wouldn’t load (hung on ‘Loading Mixer - all locked up.
Stylus RMX (as example) on a new file, the VST will load, but when ‘clicked opens the ‘Authorization page, but the ‘Challenge Code will not accept the focus while the ‘Response code field will. The ‘Copy, ‘Paste and ‘Continue controls are active but do nothing when selected, this is apart from the sudden 'blue screens.
I’m running CuBase 5 with Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. Kontakt 5/64 loaded OK, but PowerCore just didn’t register. I use Virtual Guitarist 2 quite extensively but won’t work in CuBase 5/ Windows 10.
I think staying with Windows 7 is the sensible option right now, but thanks for your input. By the way for anyone with a Edirol PCR-*, the Vista driver works in Win 10.

It is quite amazing, actually. For some reason Steinberg is not able to write proper VST bridge, althougt they are inventors of VST. Try other programs like Reaper or Bitwig, and you will see how well their VST bridging works. In general Cubase is less stable and less efficient with VST plugins than their competition. Although they could implement good VST support, after all they invented VST. But they don’t. Why? One can only conclude that they don’t care about that, because obviously VST works well enough to keep their sales going.

So, is Win 10 ok if now (as long as you are not using video), or no?

I decided to revert to Win 8.1 Pro 64Bit from Win 10 Pro 64Bit because of the known issues, but this has created it’s own issues with certain programs and drivers not taking well to the Win 8.1 recovery (namely, updating Nvidia drivers breaks them and forces the use of a 3rd party driver sweeper to remove them in order to reinstall).

I actually really liked Win 10 experience overall, it is only Steinberg software that is holding me back from using it.
I would have thought they would have been working on compatibility through out the lengthy beta. Win 10 has been out for nearly 4 months now and the sticky here still says ‘Windows 10 - please do not upgrade!’

Very disappointing.

So, is Win 10 ok if now (as long as you are not using video), or no?

There are other problems than video and we don’t yet know if the change will need to be made by Microsoft rather than Steinberg (as was the original issue which was fixed in an earlier Windows update)

Win 10 has been out for nearly 4 months now

I think it would have to be at least over three months before you can legitimately exaggerate it up to “nearly 4 months”.
July 29 - Oct 15 in the real world is 2 1/2 months plus a couple days.

Dear Sir,
I am building my new PC.I need to install Windows 10 Pro for my other softs in order to upgrade them.
I am having Cubase 8pro and also need to run it on my new pc to complete my projects.What should I do?
Plz help. Steinberg is taking too much time to resolve issues with Windows 10.
Thank You

[Mod edit: merged to existing thread]

Cubase is officially not supported on Win10 yet. So you will not be officially advised to go with win10. Although, if you think about it, there are numerous problems for many users also on win7 and win8, so official support doesn’t really guarantee smooth ride.
I upgraded to win10 immediately when it came out, and after some initial problems now everything works. If you don’t use video, I’d say you are safe to go with win10.
If you use video, you can still install win7 or win8 first, install QuickTime, and then upgrade to win10 - if quicktime is already installed on previous system, it works in win10 too.
Try with win 10, give it a week, and if it doesn’t work, you can still format disk and reinstall with older windows. Worst case a bit more work. But it may work just fine, so why not give it a try.

Thank you Sir ,for your valuable reply.I will try it, but I must use video because of Background Music Projects.

If you need video support in Cubaseon a fresh install then you will have to research how to instal quicktime on windows 10…it will not install without hacking it and you have no video in Cubase without it.