Windows 7 to Windows 10/computer hardware upgrade.

Hi everybody!

I want to upgrade my PC (updated motherboard, processor and RAM-memory) and also migrate from Windows 7 (64bit), to Windows 10, 64bit.

My DAW is Cubase Pro 9.5.

I’m using virtual instruments and plugins from:

⁃ Native Instruments (Komplete 10)
⁃ EWQL(SO) - iLok!
⁃ Waves
⁃ IK Multimedia
⁃ Softube
⁃ Toontrack (EZ Keys)
⁃ XLN Audio (Addictive Drums)

My plan is to upgrade to Windows 10 first, before upgrading my machine, and then install the SSD drive with windows and all my programs in the new PC system.

My computer guy did something similar to that last year, when he changed my old HDD C-drive for the new SSD, copying the entire content from the old to the new drive. This worked out perfectly.

My Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 needs a FireWire card with the new motherboard, but I know that will work out, with the updated driver.

I wonder however, if I might run into problems with any of my software and/or licenses, that might be registered together with my computer’s ID.

Does anyone here have experience with this situation or with any of the specific plugin brands mentioned above in relation to this matter?

Does my PC’s ID change when I change the mentioned parts and components?
The C-drive remains the same.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hans

The Cubase Pro license is tied to the USB licenser not the PC, so that should not have any issues at all with Cubase at least. I can’t speak for any of the other items.

For your Waves plugins, I think it depends how you have your license(s) stored, mine again reside on a USB stick.

Hi Planarchist,

Thanks for your reply!
I will check it out.

Hans