Windows 7 vs Windows 10

Just an observation of something curious to me. Is anybody besides me noticing how many problems crop up that seem to occur on Windows 10 but not on Windows 7?

Windows 7 was released 9 years ago and I would think Nuendo has to be one of the more complex apps one could run on a desktop or laptop computer. I’m quite sure Steinberg development is done for Windows on Windows 10 but if I didn’t know better I would think it was actually Windows 7. I was going to upgrade to 10 once everything settled down but have remained on Windows 7 based upon what I’m commenting about here. My system runs great and I have no system glitches even though it’s a very large and complex multi monitor setup running at 4K.

I don’t get it. I’m not complaining, but I don’t get it.

I’m not sure which problems you’re referring to, but I think in general MS has done a great job at compatibility, and that a lot of issues that may pop up - if I understand correctly - are due to third parties that aren’t complying with standards and specifications.

In other words, I see on Gearslutz Pete point out how in some cases drivers aren’t submitted correctly or coded correctly for whatever reason, and when MS then pushes an update the user gets squeezed. Why would Win 7 continue to work well? Because it’s not receiving the same type of updates any longer.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Windows 10 works well with Cubase. Generally.

To get no bad surprises by automatic updates - which can kill functionality/compatibility - I’m usually offline. Before I go online with the DAW I check ‘Windows Services’ and deactivate Windows update. This setting has a build in life on its own - it reactivates itself, found no reliable way to permanently keep it off. And if so, a new method needs to be found after a big windows update (every 6 month or so).

That’s bothering but otherwise I’d say W10 works as good as W7, maybe even better.

I’d say better. We also do exactly what marQs does. All Windows comps are offline. If they need to online check ‘Windows Services’ and deactivate ‘Windows Update’. We do update, taking backups in advance then run a few typical tests, if al ok we keep going.We have the system backups if we hit a major issue.

I have Windows 7 and Windows 10 systems. I’ve tested on both and, despite the claims from Microsoft, find better performance using Windows 7.

There are certain older nvidia GPUs which will cause some trouble specifically with the combination of Nuendo+Win10. Had some grief with that for a while. Apart from that, no worries. I certainly have no nostalgia for Win7, love Win10! :slight_smile: