Windows 8.1 love thread!

Hi all,
I understand the issues with using Aero (fancy name for DWM “Desktop Window Manager”) which is necessary to enable the compositing for CP8’s new UI.
However, on Windows 8.1 the DWM is built in, cannot be disabled and works with software rendering as well for older graphics cards. Clear, solid colors, no transparency fluff and effects.
Plus, with the latest update, you’ll never see the start screen when a mouse is present, the OS is lean, mean and starts up in a snap.
I put all my shortcuts to software I use regularly on the desktop, and don’t use the start screen much. However, some Windows store apps are handy, calculators, metronomes and the like.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this, maybe its time to upgrade the OS along with Cubase? And maybe even migrate to x64 only, leaving x86 for the “light” versions?

Love to hear folks’ opinion on this,
Cheers,
Benji

P.S.: I’m typing this on a 10 (!!) year old Core 2 Duo Gateway laptop, running like a dream with an SSD and Win 8.1 x64!

I have two computers. The new one has Windows 8.1 and the older one Windows 7. I travel with the newer one and I am getting used to Windows 8. The more I use it the more I like it. It just took some getting used to finding things, etc. It does boot up super quick! I mainly use Cubase on the older machine, which stays at home and have not tried C8 on Win8 yet. I will have to try that soon.

:smiley:

Windows 8.1, right? :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Benji

I love Windows 8.1 and despise every manifestation of technological conservativism.

Hi there,

how does windows 8 perform in comprison to windows 7, does it takes more CPU power, less, equal? Have you noticed significant increase or decrease in your computer performance using cubase, is it faster, slower? Does it uses more ressources to work?

Thanks.

Windows 8 + Cubase 8 = perfect combination. o.O

I went ahead and installed C8 on my newer computer (i7-4712HQ). I really like the way it looks on there (i.e. the windows, title bar, menus, etc.). It definitely performs better than the older machine (which has an i7-2820QM) but I am not sure how much of that is attributed to the newer processor (both 2.3GHZ and 16GB RAM).
Now I am considering updating the older computer from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

:laughing: :smiley: :wink: Right

Windows 8.1 are great especially with Cubase PRO 8 new functionality but if you have no real reasons to install your computer completely from scratch again it better to sit tight and wait on Windows 10 instead. The performance and improvement especially with multimedia will improve even further compare to Windows 8.1 edition.

Best Regards
Freddie

Thanks Freddie! I do like C8 better on my Windows 8 machine but it is running great on my WIndows 7 machine also. It just looks a little nicer on Windows 8 and seems to perform slightly better (but that could be the newer processor i7-4712HQ vs. i7-2820QM on the Windows 7 machine).

Just in time for Windows 10. Let’s see what that screws up in Cubase.

Wow there is 11 of you! That’s into double digits, not bad since its publication was three years ago, that’s 3.3 satisfied customers per year!

Nah…

win 7 here

Z

According to Wired, and the Net Applications Data.
Windows 8 and 8.1 combined make up less then half of XP’s install base.
Half of the computers in the world are running Windows 7.
And…

Windows 10 is looking a lot like Windows 7 in appearance.

Windows 7 here.

“technological conservativism” could be caused by not having money to burn…fine for some people I suppose, but life gets in the way sometimes.

Although it’s worth noting that the pioneers were usually the ones who got shot at by the Indians.

And I thought it was the other way around.

Not saying they didn’t create their own problems, merely that life as a pioneer and life as a pin cushion are often indistinguishable. :slight_smile:

I just need to depart a comment about Windows 8.1. It is the most excellent operating systems I’ve ever encountered. I plan on preserving this operating device due to its particular platform that I am completely in love with. It is simple to attach the machine I been the usage of it oftentimes in my current IP address: 192.168.1.1. And I’m extraordinarily inspired with its functionalities.