Windows 8.1 / MidiSport 2x2

Good to see you have it sorted !

Hello Paul,

Here is the whole procedure if you (or others) are interested:

5.png
Cheers,

Paul

Thanks, but I always keep backup images of my various HD’s, nothing’s changed for me for over 10 yrs, my DAWS are still on XP and they are never on the Internet, but I’m sure your info will probably help others :sunglasses:

Hi Paul,

Yes, as you say, someone else may find the info useful (eg I would have!).

I have my Win7 and Win8 REFORMATTED (groan!) last month and and currently reinstalling them. I will be keeping them both OFFLINE as much a possible from now on, and using my donkey Win-XP for You-Tube, eBay, Soundcloud and all that…

Ta man,

Paul

Hi again,

I am running Cubase on my Win7 and Win8 PC’s. These have 3 x USB ports each. My plan is to use one for the Steinberg Soundcard Interface, one for the Steinberg eLicenser dongle (grrrr!) and the third for an external powered SEAGATE 2TB HD (because I am going to store all of my Steinberg Sound Files onto it rather than have them clog up each of my PC’s C-Drives).

But obviously I need a FOURTH USB Port (which I don’t have) to house the MidiSport 2x2!

You can get USB Multi Hubs like the following (these are on Amazon):

And I think you can also get MAINS POWERED models?

In any case, do you think that the MidiSport would be best (if possible) sharing a Port with the Steinberg dongle? The SEGATE 2TB and Steinberg Soundcard need to be running at optimum speeds I would have thought (ie ideally @ USB-3)?

Anyway, I hope I have explained this ok and that someone is able to assist please.

Best,

Paul

I don’t think you’ll notice a difference in practice. MIDI is very ‘compact’, in that it doesn’t need much USB ‘bandwidth’ at all. I think any combination is fine, apart from the soundcard+harddrive on the same hub as that could indeed be problematic for data throughput at high load on both. Note that Steinberg advises against using the eLicenser in a hub, but I’ve always had mine in a hub without any problems whatsoever.

If you are using the hub for a couple of devices that don’t have their own power connection, then I would advise getting a mains powered hub. Otherwise a regular one is fine, and saves you an extra cable on your desk!

Thanks Strophoid,

That is most helpful indeed of you.

Ok, so it looks like I will have to double- up on the CUBASE DONGLE and the MIDISPORT 2x2 then? Is that correct please?

And for this combination, would it be more advisable to purchase a MAINS POWERED hub?

Ta,

Paul

That should be fine yes.
I don’t think you’ll need a powered hub in this case. However, if the price difference is negligible, you could just buy a powered hub and try using it without the mains power first.

Strophoid,

Oh ok, so a NON-POWERED hub is just the same as a POWERED hub without the MAINS PLUGGED in!? :laughing:

Paul

Yep :wink:.
All powered USB hubs I’ve seen have a detachable power cable so they can be used as ‘regular’ hubs. The adapter just provides additional power if all the devices you connect to your hub draw more power than the USB port on the PC can provide. Generally this isn’t really an issue on desktops anyway, Laptops tend to provide less power over USB so there you’re more likely to need a powered hub.

Hi,

Well my Win7 and Win8 are both laptops.

Does it make any difference if I purchase a USB hub with 2, 3 or 4 x PORTS please? Though as far as I can see, I only intend using the DONGLE and MIDISPORT.

Paul

Hi,

There is a way of finding out if your PC PORTS are USB 2 or USB 3. I believe it is within DEVICE MANAGER.

A friend told me that USB 3 ICONS are a TRIANGLE. In which case, does this mean, that on my Win7, all of my PORTS are USB 2?

Please see screenshot:

Many thanks,

Paul

…and same question for my Win8.1 USB’s please:

Best,

Paul

My USB3 ports have the same icon as the USB2 ports, but they are clearly listed as USB3 in device manager so I guess yours are USB2.

There is no difference in the amount of ports you have on a hub. I’d say more is better, especially if you opt for a powered one as they can run many devices from the same port without problems.
Having some spare ports is always handy for a flash drive for instance. Or a USB rocket launcher.

Ta Strophoid,

Well on my Win8 I see that it has 4 x USB PORTS! :slight_smile:

If, as you suggest, they are ALL USB-2, then I think I will use one for the Steinberg Soundcard, one for the SEAGATE 2TB HD, one for the MIDISPORT 2x2, and the SHARING the fourth will be the STEINBERG DONGLE with (when needed) my NORD STAGE CLASSIC piano and ROLAND XV5050 module.

And on my Win7 (with only 3 x USB PORTS), one for the Steinberg Soundcard, one for the SEAGATE 2TB HD and the SHARING the third will be the MIDISPORT 2x2, STEINBERG DONGLE and (when needed), my NORD STAGE CLASSIC piano and ROLAND XV5050 module.

I think that is the best way forward?

Cheers,

Paul

That sounds fine to me. Good luck :slight_smile:

Hi,

It kind of installed on my Win7 in an ad hoc way. There was a hic up half way thru (see pics) but I think it is in ok, and the LED on the device is pulsating.

2x2_2.PNG

MIDISPORT / Win7 cont:
2x2_4.PNG
2x2_5.PNG
2x2_6.PNG

MIDISPORT / Win7 cont:
2x2_7.PNG
2x2_8.PNG
2x2_9.PNG