Windows: Cubase 9.5 does not start or crashes

Hi
Cubase 9.5.10 crashes while working right after start up even though the start screen is shown at first. (The computer works just fine otherwise)
The article says, (the crash dump files list a crash in the imagegenerator.dll) but where do I find the file and is it important for the Steinberg support to read?

At Steinberg Support an Article highlights this issue.

Now I have tried all the workarounds but have not found a solution to this issue yet.

I believe there is something with the graphics (as in the article) but if Cubase 9.5.10 crashes should I go back to Cubase 9.0 and still hope I can open the projects I did yesterday in Cubase 9.5.10?

UPDATED POST: Started Cubase 9.0.40 and the same issue appear. Neither one works at the moment
Where do I find Cubase 9.0? It seem I can only download 9.0.40

I have the latest Cubase 9.5.10, Windows Pro 10 Update, the latest drivers for NVIDIA graphic (but have tried to roll back Driver as well but it failed).

I have had this problem a month ago and the store where I bought the computer was really surprised because the computer is completely new (and very powerfull). They installed all kinds of drivers, mb_driver_chipset_intel_x299series and mb_driver_intel_me_x299series etc and after that the computer was ok.

It would be great to have an solution from anyone here at the forum, insted of go back to the store with a functional computer who is working fine but not with Cubase Pro 9.5.10.

All the best
Pete

Windows 10 Pro
Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
Ram 32 GB
64 bits OS, x64 based processor

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
BenQ PnP screen
BenQ G2420HDB (Digital)

Today at 13:08
I have been in contact with my computer dealer and they say there is a lot of problems with just Cubase and Windows and NOT in the hardware in the computer.
They recommend to install a fresh Windows 10 and Cubase to solve the problem but cannot say if it will last.

And thats true, the hardware is not a problem, I have no problems what so ever with the computer, only when working in Cubase Pro 9.5.10 and 9.0.40.

I now wonder how eager Steinberg are to solve this major issue for me and a lot of other producers? I cannot work at all now and thats a fact.

All the best
Pete
Sweden

Do you not have the original Cubase 9 installation files? I always keep them in case of this kind of issue but I assume not as that’s the obvious first approach if you have the files.

Secondly have you tried uninstalling the updates using Window’s Program Uninstall facility?

Depending on what your options are in your MySteinberg Account you may be able to download 9. When it downloads it will ask if you want to you wish to update to latest version, it’s important that you don’t take this option.

If none of the above work/are available then you’ll need to contact Steinberg directly through your MySteinberg account and ask for a download link for Cubase 9 and explain why.

FWIW, though it doesn’t help you, most PC users don’t have this problem, even those of us with NVIDIA drivers which makes it more complicated an issue to solve.

I have the same problem. I can not open version 9.5. I am waiting from the launch for the update. Several months without being able to use the new version, I was promised a new update to solve this problem more than two months ago. Total outrage

I have no idea if this will help but by (bad) chance, yesterday the Graphics card on my older Windows 7 PC failed and I’ve temporarily put in an older graphics card.
Cubase crashed during initializing the Video player. Remembering that I’d renamed a video dll file in the past to speed up loading I thought I’d try the same here.

I renamed the file “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5\Components\videoengine.dll”
“C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5\Components\videoengine.dll-bak” and Cubase now loads again.

No good if you’re working with video and it might not work for you anyway…it does for me until I can get a new graphics card.

Thanks for all feedback!
Hopefully resolved! Updatered BIOS on the computer. Could have been the solution, but on the other hand, I’ve also uninstalled and reinstalled Cubase 9 - 9.5 several times. But finally, a BIOS updating might helped me on the way. Keep your fingers crossed
//Pete

Fingers crossed. BIOS could indeed be your saviour!

I was having a panick attack since my cubase was just not starting all of a sudden. I read the bios upgrade part and I reinstalled my bios (because it was already up to date) and it opened up like a charm. Thank you for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Great!