Windows - Mac

Hi, a very good friend of mine did an arrangement and presented me the Dorico (3.5) file - created on a Windows computer - with an attached pdf looking like this (perfect positioning of the fingering and nice overall spacing):

However… once I opened the Dorico file on the Macbook Pro and not touching anything in the file the fingering is misplaced and the positioning of the notes is quiet wrong:

What’s happening here??
Side information which may matter: I have both 3.5 and 4 installed.
I also tried resetting positioning or appearance. Nothing moved an inch…

It makes me distrust files coming from other people… Not a comfortable feeling when working in publishing! So please help!

I imagine posting the project here would be vital to troubleshooting. Many users regularly collaborate across platforms.

1 Like

Did you open it on 3.5 or 4 on the Mac?

Because Dorico is a font-based application, and the precise spacing and appearance of music is dependent on detailed font metrics, and furthermore it ultimately relies upon the operating system APIs for the display and positioning of fonts, it’s not impossible for there to be small differences in the appearance of a project when it is opened on the platform other than the one on which it was created.

Dorico’s own fonts, of course, are identical on Windows and Mac, and we have worked hard to try to ensure that they produce identical metrics as well, though we cannot legislate for every possible circumstance or subtle changes in behaviour introduced by different versions of the host operating systems.

Other (e.g. text) fonts will presumably have gone to similar lengths to try to ensure that the metrics are as similar as possible between platforms, but there are no guarantees.

I’d be happy to take a look at the project itself if you’d like to send it to me, together with PDF exports from both platforms.

The clefs do look noticeably different – the top one is thicker than the bottom one.

The salient difference I see is that extra space is not being allocated for the fingerings following eighth note flags in bars 81 and 82, and 32nd notes in bar 83, in the Mac screenshot.

It looks as if there were two different music fonts at work, one being noticeable “meatier” than the other.

Hi Daniel,

thanks so much for looking into this!
Here are the files I was talking about.
Second page last system is most obvious regarding spacing issues. Also in arpeggiated places it is noticeable.

Despite this I really love everything about Dorico!

Have a nice day!

Peter

Albinoni.dorico (499 KB)

Adagio dorico 3 opened in dorico 3 (Guy) (Windows).pdf (157 KB)

Adagio dorico 3 opened in dorico 4 (Guy) (Windows).pdf (155 KB)

Adagio dorico 4 opened in dorico 3 (Guy) (Windows).pdf (157 KB)

Adagio dorico 4 opened in dorico 4 (Guy) (Windows).pdf (155 KB)

Albinoni dorico 3 opened in dorico 3 (Mac).pdf (157 KB)

Albinoni dorico 3 opened in dorico 4 (Mac).pdf (155 KB)

The collisions are happening because the frame is locked. The system in question is 100.1% full (on Mac). If I decrease the note spacing rule by even an eighth of a space, the collisions no longer occur.

The minute differences in font rendering between Windows and Mac can be enough to affect whether this system is over-filled or not.

Many thanks for your reply! Solved!