Windows Media Player Doesn't Support BAK file

Hi,
I am somewhat new to Cubase 9: been going at a project on it for a couple of weeks now.

My final step is to save it and be able to play it through Windows Media Player. But it won’t play; says that the file has an extension (.bak) that isn’t recognized and may not play it, and when I try to play it, it says,

“Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.”

I set the export Audio Mixdown to 44.1 kHz and to 16 bits (some advice I saw from a different post) but it still won’t play. I also tried both .wav and Windows Media Audio (seemed related to WMP so I tried it) and still nothing.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

A .bak file is a Cubase backup file. It is basically the same a a Cubase Project (.cpr) file. Anyway it is not an audio file and Windows Media Player (nor any audio player) would not be able to play it.

When you exported the audio it should have created a .wav or .mp3 (depending on the extract settings) file. I’d guess you have files named SongTitle.cpr, SongTitle.bak and SongTitle.mp3 and are inadvertently trying to play the wrong one.