Windows not sticking

Hey,
I’m sure there is a button I’m missing here. How do I make the mixer window (the Channel Setting window for example) stay in front of the main timeline even if I press on the timeline?

Current behavior:

1. I’m in a Cubase project
  2. I open the mixer window with F3
  3. I press on the timeline (to scroll to a different section on the piece for example)
  4. The mixer window “disappeared” and was moved to behind the main cubase window.
  5. I now need to press F3 for the mixer to appear again.
    How can I just have it stay where it is?

Expected behavior:

1. I’m in a Cubase project
  2. I open the mixer window with F3
  3. I press on the timeline (to scroll to a different section on the piece for example)
  4. The mixer window stays visible as is.

Many thanks in advance !

Cubase 10.0.20
MacOS Mojave 10.14.4

Hi,

Could you add a screenshot? How are the windows arranged when you open the MixConsole. Is MixConsole overlapping the Project window?

Btw, I would recommend to update to the latest Cubase 10.0.60 version.

Hey,
When I open the MixConsole it’s in front the project, and when I minimize the project the mix console is revealed behind.
I want to have the mix console stay in front even if I press on the project.
Is that possible?

Thank you in advance,
Matan

Hi,

I’m sorry, I still didn’t got it. How can you click to the project window, when it’s minimised, please?

Maybe a video screen recording would help then…?

MD123, when you press F3, the mixer is displayed as a separate window. To make it stay “on top” you need to open it using the Show/Hide Lower Zone controls. These are found in the upper right corner of the Project window.

I run two video monitors and the only way to have the Mixer stay on top is to press F3 and then move the Mixer to my second monitor. That way, the Project window and Mixer have two separate focuses. Hope this solves your problem.

It sounds like the OP would like to have the mixer Always on Top like plugins can be, and like the mixer used to do, long ago. Unfortunately, that feature is gone, so it’s no longer possible.

Thank you for all the replies.
I managed with @Lee Batchelor’s solution for now.
Much appreciated.

I hope Steinberg does not destroy window handling further by its way of implementing “single window” concepts. The zones are not what everybody needs and wants.

I am - with a lot of inner tension - curious how all this will be handled in Cubase 11.

I agree that the lower window isn’t as comfortable as the F3 window.

Glad to be of help, MD123 :wink:.

I agree that having the full mixer open on a second monitor is far better than the rather limited space offered in the Lower Zone. You’re running one monitor, as do many others, so it makes sense to let you resize the mixer window as you wish and keep it on top like the plugin windows. Such windows are called “non-modal” windows.

The Lower Zone method works fine if all you need to do is move the sliders. However, there are a lot of controls available in the mixer so that it really needs to be opened in as large a window as possible.

It’s odd that the developers have afforded us so many controls in the mixer but expect us to work with them inside a closet. Is it possible that they are starting to cater mostly to those who use dual monitors? For us, it’s a non-issue. There are huge numbers of users who still run single monitors quite well.