Windows ten, is it necessary to do a clean install?

Are there any probs not doing a clean install please…? :slight_smile:

cheers, Kevin :slight_smile:

I just let the “updater” do its thing. I have not had any issues yet or any desire or need to do a clean install. Which reminds me… I probably need to go find the “windows.old” stuff and clean up the space… :confused:

Edit. Oh yeah, and that is on two different machines, one from W7 and one from W8.

Ok thanks for your reply…very helpful :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

What I have generally read is that “though it is always better to do a clean install, avoiding potential problems, my updater worked just fine, no problems”.

That was my experience also, W7 Pro to W10 Pro.

Most important advice ever: Backup image before doing anything like this.

Also: the updater goes online and finds the most current drivers for a lot of things (printers, video monitors, etc.) and updates those as well. Prior to using the W10 updater I updated all the drivers for my music stuff - USB-MIDI driver for my Yamaha Motif, driver for my interface, etc.

Finally: I also made sure my BIOS was up to date before doing the W10 updater (after imaging). I haven’t read anywhere that is necessary, but I figured it was a good idea.

As above - it all went great, no hiccoughs at all.

Good advice, thank you…

With all the VSTs and software I would have to re-install, the last thing I wanted to do was a clean install to get to Windows 10. I did the upgrade from Windows 7 x64 to Windows 10 and it worked out just fine.

Of course I always do a system backup before an OS upgrade. It’s cheap insurance against something going wrong.