Wired headphones change playback sounds and tempo

Headphones change sound of piano to harp; tempo is down to around half the speed. I tried closing the project and opening it again. It didn’t work. I tried changing the playback template to Silence and then back to NotePerformer and that didn’t help. When I disconnect the headphones the sounds and playback speed go back to what it should be. Quitting Dorico and rebooting does not help either.

Also, Dorico has been very laggy for about 2–3 months for me. I’m not sure what it is. Even saving my document can take up to 10–15 seconds. I checked the Activity Monitor on my Mac to see CPU and other usage, but it all seems fine… It’s a maxed out MacBook Pro from 2019 with 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 processor and 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 of memory, running the latest macOS (12.6)…

I tried uploading a diagnostics file directly here, but it was past the 4MB limit, so I had to use WeTransfer to produce this link to it: https://we.tl/t-kFz3eR7le3

I’d be happy to share my project directly with the Dorico Team if that helps.

Thanks for the data, @rodrigoruiz1988.
Interesting, the logs say that the audio engine always thinks that you are running with a sample rate of 96kHz, but I assume that when you plug-in the headphone, that it actually goes down to half, i.e. 48kHz. The audio engine not recognizing this, then also plays back everything in half the speed.
The same holds true for NotePerformer, it plays back it’s sound by half the speed, so you think that it is actually a harp sound instead of a piano.
When you plug-in your headphones, go to Edit > Device Setup and in there change actively the sample rate to 48kHz, then close and start playback, does it then sound correctly?
I also want to mention that running at 96kHz brings you no advantage. It just uses up CPU performance but with no gain in sound quality, because NotePerformer and other sound libraries get sampled at 44.1 or 48kHz, so that already limits the sound quality to a certain maximum level which you can’t surpass by later increasing the playback sample rate.
So let’s save some CPU cycles for some other work, you computer is already at the limit as it seems.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to look at the data and to respond, @Ulf. I really appreciate it. It turns out you were right. I have no idea how the project came to be at a sample rate of 96kHz… The saving and general lag seems to have become less noticeable, too, although it does show the infamous rainbow-coloured spinning circle for a couple of seconds still.

To reduce the amount of time it takes to save your project, you might find it helpful to go to File > Project Info and deactivate the Generate preview thumbnails when saving option, which you’ll find at the bottom of the dialog when Project is selected in the left-hand list.

1 Like

Thank you, @dspreadbury! So generous with your time and help with us users. Really appreciate it. I’ll definitely do that for big projects like this one. Hope you all have a great day at the Dorico offices.