Wishes and frustrations for use Dorico as educational purpose

I wanted and want to do something very simple and thought it would be done in minutes, but ended up being several hours.
For educational purpose, I wanted to add an instrument for example that plays exactly the same notes as another but transposed, but my projects contain a lot of flows.
So here are my wishes and frustrations:

1. possibility of doing: Duplicate player with notes and without flow by flow

2. Export all the flow or merge them in only one xml file
    the online site doesn’t work with dorico file:

[type or paste code here](https://fileproinfo.com/tools/merger/musicxml)
  1. Idem with mid : Export all the flow or merge them in only one midi file. to give a unique midifle to student would still be more convenient
    The online site is not 100% ok because
[type or paste code here](https://www.ofoct.com/merge-midi-files)
  1. Select notes, text, etc… from several flow and possibilities to copy and and paste them in another player. Not only flow by flow

2. OR Merge / dimerge flow …or create new flow with selected flows…

3. Copy and paste notes and tempo from and to between Cubase and Dorico should be a minimum all the time

4. Standardize the tempo export and import format between Cubase and Dorico

5. Just out of curiosity: why the zoom on the timeline by moving the mouse vertically in the Play part is reversed compared to Cubase and Wavelab

Information: I can do all these things with workarounds and time,But it would still be nice to do it quickly
Best regards

If you just want to print the same music for a different instrument (not the same type of instrument in a different key*), I would save a copy of the project and change the instrument. Or don’t even bother with separate project, but just change the instrument, print, and close without saving. (The latter can’t be done on iPad.)

I’m trying to think of reasons you might need to add a duplicate instrument in the same project. Continuing to add to and edit the music? Alternative instrumentation? Perhaps you could describe your needs in more detail; all the possible workaround solutions are not so relevant.

(*As you may already know, the best way to make an extra part for, say, C Trumpet instead of B♭ Trumpet is make a new part layout with a clef and transposition override.)

1 Like

@Mark_Johnson
for example: I have a project with 20 flow for as example a flute and a piano.
A month later, a new student arrive with an alto sax who must play the same as the flute. I want a score with all three instruments.
For the moment I have to create a new player and copy flow by flow the flute parts in the new alto sax instrument.
This is just an example to illustrate my need to be able to quickly make scores with variable geometry knowing that each project contains a lot of flow.
Hope you understand!
I just have the impression that in the end the flows are poisoned gifts because you can’t export them into one, merge them, copy a part of each etc… so not very useful for educational purposes.
For the moment I have no advantage in using this: what do you think of it?
Thanks

It’s true that Duplicating a Player doesn’t copy its music.

As Mark says, you could certainly create a new Part that has the Flute staff in a different transposition from the Full Score.

It is possibly to create a Lua script that will iterate through the Flows, performing a sequence of actions.

But, if you have key shortcuts assigned to: Select to End of Flow, Duplicate to Stave Above/Below, and Go To Next Flow, then it’s click, tap, tap, tap, for each Flow. Well under a minute for the whole thing.

1 Like