WL 10,0,30 update Bugs/broken info

+1

Yes, this is just what I’ve heard from reporting various issues in WaveLab to plugin developers. I think that, plus the fact that WaveLab has things that Cubase/Nuendo do not such as Clip FX, and WaveLab’s unique way of copying files before rendering, this introduces a bigger chance for problems that go unnoticed when developers only test in Cubase.

I’ve heard from one developer that their plugins already have a lot of “WaveLab Exceptions”. Now, whether these are truly exceptions for WaveLab, or just really hidden VST3 spec details that they should have followed anyway is something we may never know.

Of course, no software is ever perfect but it sure would be nice to see less friction in this area. It does seem that the fix usually has to come from the plugin developer side which tells me that maybe they don’t have the best info about how to follow the VST3 spec well enough for WaveLab to be happy, and that some kind of intense testing tool they can use to see if anything breaks for ALL Steinberg products could really help.
I don’t even know if such a tool could be made but I’ll say that in my 10+ years of using Pro Tools daily, I never saw so many plugin problems, or even thought to ask a software company to be a beta tester to help more quickly get things solved.

I will say that FabFilter, Plugin Alliance, Goodhertz, UAD, and a few other are usually very solid. However, any time a new plugin comes out, it’s a 50/50 chance it’ll either work, or have an issue in WaveLab. I usually expect an issue and am somewhat amazed if it works right away in WaveLab.

Usually if I report such an issue to the plugin developer, they tell me they didn’t test WaveLab, or too few of their customers use WaveLab to spend the time supporting it.

I’ve also found Sonnox, Acon Digital, Klanghelm, Melda Production, Voxengo and SSL to be very solid and all of these developers have created VST3 versions which currently run faultlessly in Wavelab 10.

Yes, Sonnox should have been on my list, though there was a brief time with a crash upon quitting that is now cleared up.

Sonnox was also one that took longer than most to go VST3, probably because they wanted it to be stable as possible.

Absolutely. I think they worked really hard to make sure it was faultless and all credit to them for doing so. It’s a great result. I do wish all developers would pay the same attention to detail. In my opinion, Klanghelm is another who made sure it was right and ditto for Voxengo. At the moment, I’m finding Acon Digital to be among the slickest of all. Great set of plugins.

Someone already mentioned it, but SPITFISH. Yes it is that good. I know it’s a 17 year old freeware plugin and I’m lucky to be able to still use it all, but it still sees regular duty here, in a professional mastering setting, and its brother the BLOCKFISH is still my drum room compressor of choice.

I don’t want to sound overly dramatic but honestly, no jbridge support is kind of a deal-breaker.

Did you get in contact with the developer to request an update of the plugin?

When was the latest version of jBridge released? Did you contact jBridge to request they look into the issue you are having and did you ask for an update to jBridge?

Did you test or consider an alternative to jBridge?

I have finally installed JBridge out of curiosity. I have found the origin of the problem.
JBridge calls a certain VST2 function when loading the plugin, while it should not at this time.
This function is called “audioMasterGetTime”. And WaveLab is not prepared for that at that time.
After looking at the JBridge documentation, I have seen a setting called AUDIOMASTERGETTIME_HACK
Unfortunately, having it to 0 or 1 does not prevent the problem.

The only good news is that in a future update, WaveLab will avoid this weird case.

Dear Philippe:

You must know that all the TC Electronic plugins from Powercore (but one) have not been developed in 64 bit so there is no alternative for the moment because Wavelab still not works well with external DSP plugins like TC Electronic System 6000.

The problem with jBridge only occurss in the latest release of Wavelab 10.0.30 and not in the prior ones. So you, the developer, or your team, have been changing something. But only you or your team. I can surely say this because Steinberg has released the latest updates to Cubase and Nuendo and jBridge works flawlessly.

Assuming you are working in the same company I can’t understand why you have developed the support to VST plugins in a different way than the team which has developed the standard VST. Perhaps the quality control team is far from be making his job good. It’s only a matter about how this release were tested from this original 10.0 up to the 10.0.30. I’m sad because I thinnk this time the things do not have going well as you know.

For your interest I have tested all my software with jBridge in my Studio. These are the results:

• Steinberg Cubase 10.5.12 works with jBridge.
    Steinberg Nuendo 10.2.20 works with jBridge.
    Izotope RX 7.01.315 works with jBridge.
    Magix Sound Forge Pro 14 works with jBridge.
    Magix Vegas Pro 17.420 works with jBridge.

I do not have any problem to contact jBridge developer, in fact I will do inmediately, but please could you make us a favour to the users who support your software: RESPECT US and test every release prior to be public. I do not want to be your tester. Just I pay for the software. Please make you work well.

This is the second time I need to revert the update of Wavelab.

A simple patch for this could be made on your side quickly. In any case I will contact jBridge developer. But this situation makes me wonder what will the next issue you or your team will make us waste our time.

Regards

For your interest, I have written to jBdrige developer now.

test every release prior to be public

This is done. But WaveLab is a 64 bit application that only supports 64 bit plugins. Hence 32 bit plugins are not tested.

But in fact, the problem is not related to 32 bit. The problem is that JBridge (or the hosted plugin?), is calling a certain WaveLab VST-2 function at a time where it should not. WaveLab can bypass this problem in the future, but the original problem is not in WaveLab. If you take a good VST-2 plugin, such as one from UAD, you don’t get this problem.

Philippe

You assume wrong. WL and Cubase may be under the same company but have quite a different history and background. I don’t know the details either but do know PG is the WL developer from the beginning - and the reason we have his unique direct support here. Even though WL is 64 bits and uses 64-bit plugins, PG looked at the problem in jBridge and has already fixed WL in such a way that in next version jBridge will not create this same issue. How’s that for support!?

+1 at least :slight_smile:

regards S-EH

I have received the support of the jBridge developer and here it is:

The reason for this is that I found a situation where the plugin would crash if it did not had the time info during loading.
PG is right that in saying that it is not normal that the plugin does that on load, but, after all these years developing jBridge, I can tell you that some plugins do strange things ( and I have to try to make them all work ).
But, this has never been a problem for any DAW so far. Do you know the contact of the developer of WaveLab, or can you put us in touch? We can easily solve this.

I will try now to send a PM to PG

I never have talk about the quaility of his support. My claim is about the quality of this version of WL. I’ve had to reverse the update twice. First with the initial release and now. This is not serious in my humble opinion

but, after all these years developing jBridge, I can tell you that some plugins do strange things ( and I have to try to make them all work)

I can’t say otherwise :wink:

Philippe

Wow - this is great though isn’t it PG…? A developer wanting/offering to work directly with you, to solve issues…? How often does that happen…! Love reading stories like this… :slight_smile:

dream on… as if PG or Steinberg would care.

FYI, I was told about an alternative called Metaplugin (Metaplugin - DDMF Supreme Audio Software) that also allows to map 32 bit plugins, among others.
I dont’t have personal experience with this tool.

Use only the VST2 version of Metaplugin because if you use the VST3 version you get an error message when you launch the rendering process.This happens both with Wavelab 9.5.50 and 10.0.30.
I’ve tried to contact the developer of Metaplugin to let him know about this issue but i didn’t get any reply