WL 8.5 questions

Can this slot be used for any plugins e.g. can it be used for ARC room compensation which would not be included in render process and would not affect metering? Such feature alone would make the upgrade price worth for me…

Can this slot be used for any plugins e.g. can it be used for ARC room compensation which would not be included in render process and would not affect metering? Such feature alone would make the upgrade price worth for me…

Absolutely, yes; I did not forget this request :wink:
You choose what plugins you want to show in this slot’s menu from the Plugin-setting dialog.

Oooooh this is great! :sunglasses:
So I choose which plugins can be activated as post-processing plugins but only one can be active at given time (as seen in the Musikmesse video where slots were switched like radio buttons), right?

So I choose which plugins can be activated as post-processing plugins but only one can be active at given time

Only one can be loaded at a given time (only one slot). But the post-processing menu can contain any plugin you choose.

This is why I love Wavelab: feature requests are listened to!

Maybe PG should offer some help with Cubase. :mrgreen:

I get the feeling automation is going to have to wait is that correct?

Phillipe,

will the iTunes+ codec rendering, work on both Mac & PC operating systems?

regards,
5am

PG already mentioned somewhere that was for Wavelab 9.

I just wanna say… I skipped 8.0 but 8.5 looks like a -really- useful update. Well done, PG.

will the iTunes+ codec rendering, work on both Mac & PC operating systems

Yes.

I asked this elsewhere, but there are more posts here … will there be a Wavelab Elements 8.5 coming out at the same time, or shortly thereafter?

:nerd:

In the top announcement thread at the top of the forum about Wavelab 8.5 - Exclusive Preview, it states that only Wavelab will be updated to 8.5, not Wavelab Elements.

I just saw this through the Musikmachen.de Newsletter, since KVR Audio was really scarce on information regarding the Musikmesse. But… interesting to see an 8.5, and no 8.1. A couple of questions (though some of them were already answered - like the “pricing”).

This looks like an implementation from the Fraunhofer ProCodec…
Is that available in real time or through the offline analysis?

This is actually a welcome feature.

My main question here would be: is this also the Fraunhofer ProCodec system?

Most importantly to me would HD-AAC higher than 44/16, which is a limitation of the “Consumer Version” of the Fraunhofer ProCodec. If it’s not possible to render (i.e.) 96/24 in HD-AAC, then this particular feature is a bit moot to me. And also IMO a bit counter productive to drive technology forward.

Does that mean we have 11 Master Slots now? Or is this from the FR that users had regarding an insert slot for analysis/room correction plugins in combination with the speaker settings?

Also…
Was the VST3 “Audio Forward Bug” (VST plugins by certain companies, among them Slate Digital/Eiosis and Klanghelm, are not processing while rendering) adressed in 8.5? Which is my biggest concern.

Will this be a free or a paid update for current v8.0 users?
Though since there is talk of a grace period update on the “Exclusive Preview” page, I assume that is a “yes”. And reading understanding the Answer by PG on Page 1, it is sadly a definite yes.

Which pops up the question, why we have to pay for “mid-term” updates yet again and about a year later, we have to pay even more for the next major version? And will the pricing be just as “fair” as with Cubase?

Just… why? This gives me the constant impression as Steinberg user, that there is always some feature “missing” that improves my workflow and I have to pay for, or I’m on a permanent pay-to-use beta test for the next version. I’m personally with WL since WL3, and that “intertim paid” nonsense was never an issue, Wavelab always felt complete. Now Wavelab is getting the same treatment as Cubase - and a possible price raise as well (if it really goes the same route!).

15+ years with Steinberg software - is it time to look for alternatives in terms of mixing and mastering tools? Why do you force that upon us users?!

Yes, the Franhofer Codec is used.
There is real-time quality checking, and offline encoding.
Yes, HD-AAC 96/24 is supported.
Yes, there is a new Master Section slot, at the very end, for plugins that won’t be rendered.
This update costs 49.99, half the price of a “7 to 8” update. This should interest users that prefer to get new interesting features now, rather than waiting one more year for more features, and the pay 100.

Short and to the spot - thanks.
So you got a deal with Fraunhofer/Sonnox on this, which is actually really, really good news and my FR was heard!

Still, a bit sad that WL goes the Cubase round in terms of updates (paid) and there won’t be any .1, .2, .3 updates anymore - therefore also shorter lifecycles, etc. As long as the upgrade price in general doesn’t rise, and the fees are fair (meaning: 50EUR boxed from 8.5 to 9.0), then this makes me more happy than what happened with Cubase.

Still the question about the VST3 Audio Forward Bug remains.

I think 50 euros is a reasonable price to pay for an upgrade that is adding this number of features. It’s up to the individual to decide if the updates are worth the cost. For me, I’m not experiencing any bugs that I’m aware of (other than possible newly discovered Ozone 5 bug) but I’m happy to upgrade for the other new features and to stay current.

Does anybody at Steinberg know if the price to go form Wavelab 8.0.3 to 9 will be the same as the upgrade path from 8.5 to 9? Either way, the cost is minimal for software I use daily. If only there was a way to also make an 8.0.4 that fixes any outstanding bugs but doesn’t add the features of 8.5, then both parties would win I suppose. It’s probably not worth the extra work for PG/Steinberg to do this though.

Well, it is a differece if you pay 50EUR for a .5 update and then another 50EUR for a 9.0 upgrade (which would resemble the 100EUR upgrade form 7 to 8), maybe even pay 50 EUR now,and later 100EUR from 8.5 to 9… which is still somewhat reasonable.

Or in the IMO much worse issue in case of Cubase (where the prices were adjusted upwards), where you now pay 250USD (from 6.5 to 7.0. was 199USD before) and an additional 50 USD (7.0 to 7.5) - or 300 EUR alltogether. And both hosts clock in at about 599USD and are equally powerful in their own section.

50 EUR is in case of WL reasonable, considering what you get for this money. The Fraunhofer ProCodec suite is still 295GBP/360EUR plus VAT through SONNOX. Now, along with EBU R-128 tools (which cost about 500 EUR as well), we have that suite included in WL. The price value is definitely more worth it. Even if the .5 Update to 9.0 Upgrade might cost 100EUR, that is more fair. But still highly quesitonable “why” this has to be like that.

Other companies are also as large, but do not ask for extra fees or really high upgrade prices. One famous host company even has a “Lifetime” system and will soon expand on to Macintosh. Yet they haven’t dropped off the planet. So why force all the extra fees upon us users?

At least PG seems to better listen to the userbase. I remember asking for an implementation of this CODEC bundle a couple of months ago - now it will be part of WL’s core. Unless Fraunhofer is picky again in terms of licenses, like the MP3pro CODEC back in the days. And this behavior is way different than asking over at the Cubase subsection to change some things with the new MixConsole for example.

Regarding a 8.04 update. I really hope this will be the case. Else, I fear a huge sh*tstorm will be coming up.

nice!

I wonder why Sonnox didn’t achieve this with their pro codec plugin? Mac only!

5am

Note that WaveLab does not use the Apple plugin. But WaveLab can encode in AAC in the same way iTunes does.

[quote=

What else is in here - for fixes etc. I am still struggling with a few things and I am a bit disappointed in the “chargeable” aspect of this release - I would have thought there would have been a larger list of “goodies” in a paid release.

VP[/quote]

Why not just wait until the release of WaveLab9 if it is that much of a hassle.