WL 9.5 problems vs working in Nuendo 8

Wavelab Pro (always newest versions) is the only application with this behaviour. As mentioned, the same plug in chains in Nuendo are working smooth and responsive. And there are way to much combinations I have encountered this. As everybody can see - playback curser is running in a loop in the background, playback is fine, except there are huge delays like with the graphics for the plug in processing. I just updated again the RME drivers. It just came to my mind … quite unusual is my sound card setup: 90 ins and 90 outs with two RME cards combined. But again, there are no problems in otehr audio editors or DAWs at all.

Just fired up some Sonnox, Softube, McDSP etc., just 5 Plug Ins with Mac built in stereo sound card → same problems. Master Section menu also gets sticky and sluggish. It feels sometimes as is the mouse pointer sticking to other parameters.

Hi nkf … Just one thing, when you see this behavior, WL is the only audio app open … that is, protools, nuendo etc is not running in the background. Correct?

Yes.

From a constructive point of view: The interesting thing is that your video kind of displays behavior which you’d expect to see where resources are being heavily taxed … like ram or processor … as opposed to plugins themselves “not working”. I know that this shouldn’t be the situation in your case because the other apps run fine.

But, have you checked Activity Monitor to see exactly what is going on in the background there. My spin on this is that something is unexpectedly “different” in the way WL is addressing your computer’s resources.

I have some reasons for suggesting this.

Would be interesting to see if a plugin such as FabFilter Pro EQ, has this sluggish problem. I quote this one because this is a well programmed plugin.

Fabfilter Pro-Q2 stays always very responsible. I even used two instances of nine plug ins in the Master Section - both are easy to handle like there is nothing going on. McDSP, Weiss-MM-1 and SSL EQ-X start to act sluggish. Interestingly it ‘recovered’ mostly after inserting Waves F6-RTA at the end. (???)
Deleting Waves F6 makes the plug ins sluggish again, re-inserting it ‘cures’ it again. That is strange! What does this all mean? CPU hit is fine with playback around 230 % of 1 Core (6 cores available) - evenly distributed. The plug ins, just as a test row - no real world usage:

• Oxford EQ
  • Exponential Audio R2
  • McDSP ML8000
  • Fab Pro Q2
  • SSL EQ-X
  • D16 Repeater
  • Weiss MM-1
  • Fab Pro Q2
  • F6-RTA (toggled on/off)
    I repeat: I just encountered inserting F6-RTA as the last plug in ‘cures’ the problems with Weiss-MM-1 and ML8000, even SSL X-EQ - for whatever reasons. There must be something going on which should be identified. The problem is here 100% reproducible.

One other thought … in your master section do you have the resampling pane active? That is, activated and set to resample on playback? If so, does de-activating this option make any difference?

no resampling …

and … silence again from Steinberg or PG, even when new descriptions and circumstances are described. My friend with similar problems on her Windows system gave up reporting and discussing the problems already.

Hmmm … from your descriptions it still “feels” like there’s something going on in terms of allocation of resources.

Do you think it’s worth seeing what Activity Monitor looks like (cpu/ram etc) in Nuendo and then, in an identically configured session, in WL? My bet is that you’ll find something significantly different and, if so, this could help with a resolution.

Not that it’s relevant, but I should disclose that I run a Windoze 10 system in my room and have not experienced anything like this at any time. So I am only commenting with a genuine interest to help. We also have a few macs.

Do you mean the same thing happens on Windows? If that’s the case I would get the plugins and try it myself. If it takes 3 or 4 different companies plugins in series to make the problem happen or not happen i doubt any of them are going to be too interested in testing it.