WL not remembering path of last opened montage file

Also, likely related to this, I’m finding that Save As… montage files are not staying in the folder the original montage file is located.

Your setting (according to your picture), is “Keep last used”. Hence it does not default to the original montage path.

After de-selecting “keep last used” on both the montage and edit sections, I still have the problem of Wavelab always looks in the Documents folder if I choose things like “replace audio files…”. It doesn’t remember the folder path I used used a few seconds ago. This makes replacing each file in a montage a longer task. I often replace all files in a montage when I have to recreate the montage at a higher sample rate, or load in the instrumental versions on a Save As… of the montage.

As a test, when I quit Wavelab and tried to “replace audio files…” again, the Wavelab browser kept going to a project I worked on yesterday. When I went to the correct folder and replaced a file, and tried to do more again, it still goes to “Documents”.

Something is still not right.

This is still driving me so crazy so i made a video. Here is the link:

In the video you see that no matter the folders preferences, When I do the “Replace Audio Files…”, Wavelab no longer remembers the last path I replaced an audio file from.

In the past, once I replaced a file from a certain folder, WL would remember that path and keep it so I could quickly replace files of an entire album for when I’m redoing the montage at another sample rate or making the instrumental master of the album.

Anyway, in the video you see that every time I do “Replace Audio File” it takes me to the Documents folder. I can see the last path in the “recent paths” of the WL browser but WL still defaults to “Documents”.

Now, when I close WL and reopen and try the same thing, it takes me to an older project path name and then again back to “Documents”

One side note is that at 0:33 in the video you see another small bug I always have. I simple try to open the audio montage menu to see recently opened montages and it INSTANTLY selects an old one for me like the mouse is on hyper mode. I can’t even see it happen but selecting the montage icon rapidly opens a random recent montage. After that, the montage icon drop down works as normal.

I really hope PG can fix your problem, but in the meantime have you tried:

1. Creating another computer admin user account, and trying it from that account?
  2. Unchecking the File and Montage prefs “keep last” and “change when save”, restarting Wavelab and see if they’re still unchecked?

Also that instant open montage thing is a weird one. Never seen that.

Thanks Bob. I’m hesitant to make another user account since I like to keep the OS as clean as possible and I just reinstalled it. I may try some troubleshooting on my laptop which currently has the same OS as my main machine… I’m not sure why I didn’t think of it sooner but it’ll be interesting to see if it has the same behavior. I may have to try the home folder permissions repair.

In the video you see that I have to change a setting in the folder area because it randomly reset but even when it’s set how I change it to, the problem exists.

I believe it’s been ever since WL 8.5, but I’ve been experiencing some hyper clicking or the cursor storing extra clicks that then happen when you hover over something that is clickable. At first it made WL unusable but PG tweaked some things awhile back to make it better and I guess I’ve just gotten used it. I do still experience some unintended clicks and the most noticeable is after I launch Wavelab and go to open the first montage, it almost always randomly and instantly chooses one from the recents list before I have time to even see the dropdown list. These things happened before upgrading to Yosemite.

I am using (and always use) the Apple Magic Mouse which is wireless/bluetooth.

You could just delete the user account after trying it, but whatever you think best. I’ve made temporary user accounts troubleshooting in the past on Mac and Windows with usually good trouble information results.
And then I would just delete the temp account, along with all it’s account folders and data as prompted when deleting the temp account. But whatever you think.

The only thing about the home folder permissions repair (which are possibly isolated uncommon results) are a few complaints I found after the fact. Seems it fixes problems in most cases, but there are possibly some cases where the repair has caused problems.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5275515
So I don’t know.

For what it’s worth…saving montages is working correctly…WL remember the last saved montage path and prompts me to start there when I make and save a new montage.

I still have a problem with “Replace Audio File…” That one constantly goes to “Documents” rather than the most recent path.

So I guess this raises the question if repairing the home folder permissions could be a fix since in some cases, the most recent path works, but it’s not working for “Replace Audio File…”

And is that an Audio File Folder pref (I would think so), or a Montage Folder pref? Sorry but did you try toggling all those prefs and restarting?

They’re both montage preferences and I’ve tried toggling them all, and successfully quitting Wavelab to lock them in but the results are always the same.

“Replace Audio File…” is available in the montage for each clip which I use quite a bit for certain tasks.

When I go to recall a saved plugin chain to apply on the montage master for example, WL remembers the last path used which is correct. It really seems to be related to the “Replace Audio File…” feature but I’m starting to lose track or memory if any other tasks are affected.

Replace Audio File is a Montage Folder pref? Seems like it would be an Audio File Folder pref to me. I use that function a lot too. Since your Montage Folder prefs work, maybe it’s only with your Audio File Folder prefs need toggling? Not sure if you meant you did that.

I guess I assumed it’d be a montage pref since that’s where that action is originated, replacing a file in a montage with another file.

I’ll try toggling everything, quitting WL, repair disk permissions and everything possible.

On Windows it appears to be an Audio File Folder pref, unless I checked it wrong.

Can you show a screen shot of this? I don’t see any special settings specifically related to the “Replace audio file…” command.

Thanks!

It’s not specific to Replace Audio File, but it does apply to the Replace Audio File function from my testing just now, as far as the folder it’s going to take you to. It’s the Audio File Folder preferences as in your picture, from the Audio File Workspace:

It seems that no matter what the folders preferences are set to, doing the “Replace Audio Files…” command always makes Wavelab default to look at the “Documents” folder.

Sometimes I can make it start at previously used folders if I close and reopen Wavelab but it’s not very consistent or predictable other than it’s not right.

Since replace audio file is dependent on the audio file folder preference, I would assume you’d get the same behavior just opening audio files one after another in the audio file workspace (it would revert to “documents”, if the curly bracket path below is used). Is that the case? Or would doing that once to reset the current audio file folder fix the problem?

I just noticed your audio file folder pref current path included curly brackets:
audio file folder:

Your montage folder pref didn’t:
montage folder:

Also the current folders are on different drives (montage on SSD and audio file in home/downloads).
Maybe the curly brackets are a problem with the current OS.

If that’s not it, possibly there’s a Wavelab preference (like general.dat on windows), that can be temporarily backed up and replaced to test.

BTW, are you aware that when you click on the arrow (see picture), you get a list of recent file paths, that you can select to open directly the path?
2015-06-14 22_43_28.png

Thanks, I did not know this option was available. I usually access the “Replace Audio File…” from right clicking on the clip itself, and this is where WL almost always wants to open the “Documents” folder on my OS drive rather than start at the last folder I used to “Replace Audio File…”

Next time I’m working and need that feature, I’ll try to access from the menu you just showed me and see what happens and how well it works.

By the way, this would be a great place to add a “batch” "“Replace Audio File…” function so it’s easy to change all the clips in a montage to different ones rather doing them one at a time. One example is replacing all the clips in a montage with their instrumental (no vocal) version, or when I am recreating a montage at a different sample rate and need to reference files that are identical in every way except the sample rate.

I do the same, so would benefit from batch replace. I do this usually in all clips, sometimes just some. But I don’t normally have fixed file-name differences that could be used well enough en-masse, so in my case it seems like I would need a side-by-side window (audio files folder on the left as source, clips or audio file list on the right as destination) to match up the old and new. But it definitely would be a time saver.