WL Pro 9.5.15 and plug in problems continue ... (macOS)

I’m on macOS … McDSP plug ins (most recent versions) cannot be bypassed in VST3.
There are still several GUI quirks sometimes, blank windows, sticky controls, etc. all the ‘nice’ things we have since a long time.
Working with plug ins is still not smooth compared to other Steinberg products, like Nuendo or Cubase.

Well, in 9.5, some massive improvements have been done to better support Mac plugins.
Until today and your report, there was not a single known case of problems (stability, behaviour and GUI).

It would be worth asking McDSP if they have ever tested their plugins in WaveLab. I find that many developers assume that if their plugins work in Cubase they will be fine in WaveLab but it’s not true. Depending on how well coded the plugins are, they might not function perfectly in WaveLab and usually this must be fixed by the plugin developer. I bet you’ll find that the VST2 version (if they offer it) works ok in WaveLab but probably like me you prefer to use VST3.

I recently found a great new plugin called Soothe by oeksound and I asked if they tested it in WaveLab and they said no. They just assume Cubase testing qualifies WaveLab as well.

In the case of Soothe though, it seems to work perfectly in WaveLab as VST3 so I’d say it’s a well coded plugin.

McDSP answered me and will try to take care of the bug. Furthermore they told me there is already a VST “rendering issue” with WaveLab identified.
Again: the same plug ins run absolutely fine in Nuendo and Cubase.
@ PG: I know you will make it look like I’m the only one complaining … but probably I’m one of the first ones. I nearly gave up with reporting, it may well be the same for others. Problems occur most of the time if I combine several plug ins in chains. Single plug in usage is indeed better. I cannot do all the beta testing’ and report every incident. My own work is more important and usually I leave WL and use something else. Many things I would like to do in WL I do now in Nuendo and Cubase with special templates. Working with these Steinberg apps is totally bullet proof.

Furthermore they told me there is already a VST “rendering issue” with WaveLab identified.

This remains to be seen. Generally when a VST manufacturer says so, they in fact forget to implement some thing. A VST plugin working in Cubase does not mean its VST implementation is complete.

Kind of like an open question regarding vst as a standard which I think you can answer PG. What is the exact reason that when you made a VST it needs to be tested in various DAW’s because there could be differences. I thought that a VST was a standard, but it looks like it’s not really a standard. Or is there an actual standard, but some plugin manufacturers ignore that? I’m a total noob when it comes to programming and things, so that’s why i’m asking.

What is the exact reason that when you made a VST it needs to be tested in various DAW’s because there could be differences

The standard is made of several parts. Sometimes a plugin forgets a part, or a part has a bug. But according to the DAW’s usage, this becomes a problem or not.