WL Pro 9.5 CD Pre-Gap issue

Hello,

I recently upgraded from WL7 to Pro 9.5.35 on a new MacBook Pro 6-core, OS 10.13.6.

I use the Montage for CD mastering, and I had a DDP rejected yesterday by a replicator because the pre-gap was 4 secs (red book specification is between 2 & 3 seconds).

I always have a 2 sec pre-gap (before the first track), but somehow WL9.5 is adding an extra 2 secs!
This does not appear in the montage, the gap appears to be 2 seconds, but when I open the DDP in another player (Hofa for example) it shows 2 pre-gaps of 2 secs each, total 4 seconds.

I started checking back, and almost every DDP I produced on WL9.5 has the same problem - the other DDPs have not yet gone to the replicator.
For some reason, one of the DDPs is correct - but nothing looks different in the CD Montageā€¦

All my old WL7 DDPs are fine. Iā€™ve tried everything, but canā€™t find a solution. Am I missing something here?

Can you please check this urgently?

Thanks,

M

You may need to post a screen shot of your CD and Clips tab in the montage for us to help but yes, no need to start the first track at 2 seconds on the montage timeline, just start it at 0:00 and WaveLab takes care of the rest for you.

Isnā€™t it up to the replicator whether theyā€™re going to reject it or not? There are major label CDā€™s with hidden tracks that would show the same thing (anything before the first CD Track Start marker will not be played, including silence). The CD is going to play from Index 1 (the first CD Track Start marker), not from Index 0. You have to rewind the CD to play anything (including silence) thatā€™s before the first CD Track Start marker.

Are you sure your Wavelab 7 DDPā€™s donā€™t show the same thing? If the first CD Track Start marker is at 2 seconds in the Wavelab 7 montages, it should be the same, because Wavelab 7 could make hidden tracks too. But the first CD Track Start marker really should be at 0:00 in the montage for normal CDā€™s.

Thanks for this.
However, if I import a DDP from WL9.5 into Hofa CD, it shows this 4sec pre-gap, and if I try to burn a CD, Hofa tells me that the disc doesnā€™t support this format(!). But if I remove the pre-gap altogether itā€™s okā€¦
Iā€™ve always started the first track at 2 secs in the montage, not at zero, and Iā€™ve never had a rejection (150 + commercial CDs produced since 2012).
This is the first time a replicator has rejected a DDP.
But youā€™re saying I can start at zero in the montage? Audio as well, or just the start marker 2 secs before the audio?
Iā€™ll try all this now - many thanks for your help!
Regards,
M

AFAIK, the automatic 2 seconds pre-gap (not shown in montages) was always there in WL, so there is no need to start the first track at 02:00 - it will indeed result in an extra 2 seconds which no-one will notice, like Bob says.
BTW, this is also related to the setting (check mark) ā€˜Audio in Pausesā€™. See manual p.302.

Your Hofa probably has a setting for ā€œallow hidden trackā€, because if you put the first CD Track Start marker at 2 seconds in the montage youā€™ve basically created a 2 second hidden track. Look for the ā€œhidden trackā€ setting in Hofa if you want to burn from one of your existing DDPs.

I would always put the first CD Track Start marker at 00:00 in the montage. Then if you really want there to be 2 seconds of silence when someone starts their CD, put the start of the audio at 2 seconds. But thatā€™s longer than on most CDs. If you use the CD Wizard, it does it all for you. Run the CD Wizard with the factory default settings, and it will automatically put the marker at 0:00 and the audio at a safe distance from the marker. If itā€™s not enough for you, you can move the audio to the right with track ripple on, then move the marker back to 0:00.

Oh wow, my apologies. Arjan is right, that must be the difference. I never tested it before, but Audio in Pauses does make a difference in the DDP result if you have the first marker at somewhere other than 0:00. If your Wavelab 7 settings had Audio in Pauses off, the resulting DDP would disregard the 2 second hidden track, and your DDPs would be Redbook. Iā€™m sorry, I didnā€™t even know it worked like that for the first pause. You could double check your Wavelab 7 DDPs, but I think Arjan just answered why they were never questioned. So you might want to turn off Audio in Pauses in Wavelab 9 if thatā€™s worked ok for you in the past, but only if you donā€™t need Audio In Pause. I always have Audio In Pause enabled, so I didnā€™t even think of that.

Ever since I started using WaveLab with version 7 Iā€™ve always had my first track start marker precisely at zero. WaveLab will calculate the 2 second pre-gap that is required for you when you make a DDP and/or burn a CD.

Iā€™ve always kept ā€œAudio In Pausesā€ turned on as well just to be safe.

Mikrokosmos, just make sure the first CD Track Start Marker is at 00:00 in the montage. Thatā€™s the ONLY safe method for either setting of Audio In Pause, if you want Redbook. 00:00 is how the CD Wizard does it with itā€™s default preset. The audio should be offset from the marker for safety but the Wizard does that automatically. If you havenā€™t used the Wizard, itā€™s the easiest and safest way to set up a montage for CD. Run the Wizard, and then adjust from there as needed, is what I do.

Audio in Pause can be different for each montage. It sounds like all of your Wavelab 7 montages had Audio In Pause turned Off. It sounds like all of your Wavelab 9 montages had Audio In Pause turned On, except one, the one you said didnā€™t have the problem.

I always use Audio In Pause On, like Justin, for safety of audio between tracks. But there are a lot of warnings if you have Audio In Pause Off and try to make a DDP with clips overlapping the pause markers, so Wavelab is helpful in that way.

After trying it the way youā€™ve been doing it (marker at 2 seconds), I think it would be a good thing if Wavelab could warn you somehow when youā€™re creating a non-Redbook CD. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s possible, and I donā€™t think this has ever come up before, but it would have helped in your case.

1 Like

PG, is that possible? A warning when youā€™re creating a non-Redbook CD, because the first marker is not at 00:00 (or whatever the maximum is), and Audio In Pause is on ?

Audio in pause or not, this is always red-book compatible. If you use Audio in pause, you take responsibility of your pauses. I would not add an additional warning.
I donā€™t remember any change between WaveLab 7 and 9.5 here.

I think Bob is mainly talking about when you have the first track ID not at 0:00 or wherever the cut-off point is for red-book standard and not talking about the audio in pauses.

Yes thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about. Iā€™m not saying anything changed between 7 and 9.5.

If you put the first CD Track start marker at 2.5 seconds in the montage, and you have Audio In Pause On, the CD will have a 2.5 second ā€œhidden trackā€. I always heard that pre-gap hidden track makes it non-Redbook. Maybe thatā€™s wrong, but the replicator is saying the OPā€™s DDP is out of spec because of it. And the OP has to re-make the other Wavelab 9.5 DDPs theyā€™ve made.

If you make a DDP from such a montage, and Audio In Pause is On, it makes a 2.5 second hidden track, and some versions of Hofa bark at that, saying you have to enable hidden-track mode to burn a CD from it.

If you make a DDP from such a montage, and Audio In Pause is Off, it ignores the 2.5 second space and makes a ā€œnormalā€ DDP.

Thatā€™s what I think probably happened to the OP between Wavelab 7 and Wavelab 9.5. Audio In Pause happened to be Off all the time when they were using Wavelab 7 and Audio In Pause happened to be On all the time since theyā€™ve been using Wavelab 9.5.

Wavelab has so many great warnings to avoid things you donā€™t want, if itā€™s at all possible to add a warning for this, I think it would be of great benefit. I donā€™t check for what status Audio In Pause happens to be very often because for me, it appears to be default On in everything I set up. But I can see how it might easily be overlooked if youā€™re not looking for it, or if you donā€™t know it has the effect that it has.

Yes, a warning could indeed be issued if there is a ā€œsuspiciousā€ pause.

Thanks PG! If it would make it less complicated, I think it would be appropriate to issue an informational message whenever that happened, even if it was intentional addition of a ā€œhidden trackā€. I think that would get the point across in both cases.

mikrokosmos, sorry to keep going on about this, but if you havenā€™t fixed your Wavelab 9 montages yet, the easy way to fix them would be to just turn off Audio In Pause in each montage (itā€™s a button on the CD window). Then you wouldnā€™t have to move things, and youā€™d get a normal DDP without the 4 second pause. I donā€™t know how close your first marker is to the audio, but if itā€™s very close you might want to move it back a bit so itā€™s maybe 300-400ms, or more if you like, from the audio, for safety.