WL7 without dongle?

I’ve just installed my new WL7 on a PC, Windows 7. Installation went fine. After jumping through a few hoops I was able to register it online. Between the license information booklet and what I’ve read online, it seems I should be able to register this on the computer’s hard drive and not have to use the USB dongle every time. Is this so? Right now WL won’t run without the dongle, but I need the USB port. Is there a way to switch the license from the USB dongle to the hard drive? Thanks.

–john

No, in both instances

Thanks for the reply. That’s bad news. I sure as hell wish they would have posted something on their literature about having to use a hardware device, before I had spent hundreds of dollars upgrading to the new version. It seems archaic, in this day and age, to have to keep track of a usb stick, to have to go dig it out of the box every time you want to use Wavelab. It also seems archaic that the company still treats its customers as likely thieves. I’m extremely disappointed, but will suck it up and use it until I find a better alternative.

Again, thanks for the info.

best,
john

I actually like the principle of the dongle. This way I can install the software on multiple computers with just one license. The laptop for recording and the workstation for editing and mixing.

But most of my software (legally purchased and licensed) allows me to run it on more than one computer. Steinberg is one of the holdouts still using dongles. If you lose or break the dongle, you’re screwed. Why not simply activate your license on your 2 computers and be done with it?

Some of my music software that allows this:
Cakewalk Sonar
Sibelius
Logic
Reaper

and various other graphics, word processing, and other programmes do, as well. In fact, I’m hard pressed to think of any that still use hardware dongles. Again, to me it’s as if they’re treating me like a criminal, as if I’m going to somehow steal their software after I’ve already purchased it. Just my own opinion, and I certainly don’t want to start any fights here. I love the programme, which is why I’ll put up with it (but only until something else comes along).

–john

Correction - exactly none of the programs you have listed allows your to RUN the program on more than one computer at the same time. Read the license agreement for each of these apps. To be clear - they all allow you to “install” the app on as many computers as you want - as does Wavelab 7. You can install a hundred copies if you want…but can only run one at a time…with the dongle attached.

Well - you haven’t really purchased anything nor do you own anything - all you really have is the “right” to run a single copy of the software at any given time. As such - if you have purchased a single license but somehow have designs on running the program on more than one machine at the same time - you are in effect - stealing.

Do you really believe that Cakewalk is going to let you purchase one license so 2 or 4 people can use it? Same with Sibelius and all the others. And Logic - well - the Mac is the dongle there - so there you go.

VP

Are you sure about this? You can use the serial number only on one computer unless the license tells different.
I don’t like the dongle either. But it has some advantages. Well, the only big disadvantage is that you need to take really good care of it. If you lose it you are in trouble. In this matter Steinberg should really reconsider their policy.
But apart from that, it is not a very big deal. And to be honest I like the fact that there aren’t many people with cracked version of the programs I use to make a living, Nuendo5 and Wavelab7. I haven’t met anyone. They all use a cracked version of Logic :laughing:

And Jegenes, Logic? Really? Please!

Think about this. This is a company with a very bad policy but none of their clients seem to complain.
Probably Steinberg should call its dongle iProtect or iLicense and put it in an aluminium case (well, dear St. a better built quality dongle wouldn’t hurt anybody :unamused: ).

If you feel that the dongle method means you’re being treated as a thief, why don’t you feel the same about being required to get some kind of activation file on your hard disc?

I know it can be a nuisance, but USB hubs offer a cheap solution.

This might help if you ever find yourself with another dongle: I’ve had to dedicate one of a PC’s USB ports to dongles, but I have a hub plugged into it, with all the dongles plugged into that. It’s useful that I can unplug the USB cable at the hub and, if necessary, put all the dongles away for safe keeping, still plugged into the hub.

I also prefer the dongle way to anything else.

While I appreciate the potential ease of use the dongle offers, now that i have to actually take my laptop back and forth to various places (agency, studio, clients etc ) I’ve got to say in no unclear terms, having to carry a hub with you in order to have your iloks, elicenser and every other proprietary usb dongle is simply a terrible inefficient hassle.

It wouldn’t be that bad if every dev could agree to just use ilok or elicenser but having to use a bunch of dongles off a hub is just an ugly idea in practice. Especially when you’ve paid thousands to have all those silly things…

This didn’t bug me when i just had them all inserted in a hub and stayed put, but now that I’m on the go alot for a number of projects I’ve really come to hate the fear of … OMG, I left the dongles at home on the desk…aaaahhhh

To get things worse, here’s another one from SSL, the Duende Native Hardware Dongle.

That’s why I appreciate Elements on the fly: the dongle is optional.
On the other hand, software Houses like Eiosis use Steinberg Key instead of iLok for their products.

Thanks for all the replies and comments, opinions, etc. I didn’t want to start a flame war, but I agree with those who find this hardware device a pain in the neck.

@Biss: sorry, I didn’t make myself clear. The software allows me to USE it on more than one computer, albeit not at the same time (not sure why I’d be wanting to run 2 or more computers at the same time… I have trouble enough just keeping up with ONE). So, I can use Sonar on my computer at home, and at my computer in my work studio. No worries, no dongle, but both are licensed and registered. They simply trust me not to be a thief.

I fully understand a company wanting to protect its investments. However, we are entering a time when believe me, this sort of philosophy just isn’t going to fly anymore. I’ll leave the arguing to others, but a company that sticks to hardware dongles and extreme copy protection instead of creating a community (which is what digital culture is…), will fast become a buggy whip maker in an age of automobiles. And it has nothing to do with the quality of their products.

And again, I love the software. I’m wondering if I should have bought the Lite version instead. It seems to give a choice between hardware or software iLoks…

–john