Wondering...

I updated to Cubase 6.5.
Now, after some days working with it, im wondering… why did I update?

Synths I will probably never use. Those filters feel like toys. Lanes I don’t use much, and could easily live with whatever lanes system was there before. I don’t need Rewire64 either, I work in 32.
So, why did I update at all?
Some stupid sense of loyality? Some hope that I may find some use of all the new stuff after all? A habbit? A warm feeling that I have the latest version? ??? Reflecting back on my decision now, it was stupid. I gained nothing. But Steinberg gained something, thats true.

But this cannot go on like this any more. I need to gain something from Steinberg too. Unless Steinberg comes with something of value to me in Cubase 7, this 6.5 will be the last time I pay for Cubase.

I would value things like folder tracks with bus routing, improved windows layout, improved Generic Remote, more flexible routing, full drag/drop, built-in basic sampler and overall improved workflow. I think Steinberg should seriously look at fresh daws like Live, Studio One and Reaper, and implement some of their good ideas.

Either you did it because you enjoy intereacting with web-based shopping carts, or because you were unaware of there being a maintenance update.

Either way, most complaints lately fall into the latter category and while it should not be a buyer beware situation, customer ignorance can not be an excuse to vent, rage, troll etc

No, I knew there was a free maintenance update. Still I opted for 50eur payment. That’s why I blame it on stupid loyality. And that empty hope that what I pay for may be useful in a way, although it is not.

I see. Well you’d have saved nothing year on year anyway but one good thing is at least it was available online unlike in previous product cycles.

You jumped in 6.5 because you know steinberg needs yur money to make cubase 7 the best cubase ever…
And because your really enjoy playing with new toys…
And because you only paid 150 euros for your c6 update, but intended you used to pay 200 for the previous updates, you find yourself disapointed by this extra 50 euros…

The good news is that this investment isn’t completely lost. Future paid updates are said to take the 6.5 update in consideration when calculating the price.

It is easy to fall into the alway upgrade trap with software, and generally the latest version has new useful features, undocumented bug fixes and everything just gets a little better.

That was until Cubase 6, which was a bad update, nasty drab look, and ruined channel identification colour scheme that Steinberg hastily tried to correct (well, we got coloured knobs anyway). Very little improvement in V6 over V5. I realized it was time to stop updating unless there was was something really worth having. There is nothing in V6.5 that makes Cubase better.

Maybe if the majority of users do not update to 6.5, then Steinberg will realize they need to look at things again, and make sure the existing features work better, rather than concentrate on marketing features such as unwanted plug in’s.

I’ve even been on the Pro Tools website checking that out… (didn’t like it though…)

Simply untrue!

Lanes, big improvement, Embedded warp quantising into the quantise panel, FLAC support, 64 bit rewire.

And if you’re Chinese you can now understand the program :laughing:

ERm… Loyalty huh?

then again Steinberg has one bug per month and Reaper fixes 200 or so. :mrgreen:

But what’s going on here? (above not below this)

And if you’re Chinese you can now understand the program

Funny, I’ve just read about the UK exam question that ran: “Essay in 300 words a day in the life of a 19th century Chinese immigrant.”
The answer was returned written in Mandarin! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not Chinese but the rest is important to me too. If lane control had just been returned to what was in C5 I would have never paid but the improvement is substantial. I’m also a great fan of Amp Rack so, having read the details, I decided £42 was not enough to fuss about.

If I hadn’t bought Zebra 2 before Xmas, I might even used the new synths!!!

There have been plenty of times(and there will be again) when I haven’t been able to afford £42…so - I just did without. Not a big deal or lack of loyalty(I also have no problem not being part of trendy cliques). Why miss something you never had?

There are good points and bad points, strengths and weaknesses to any type of development cycle. Reaper’s is more agile, Cubase’s is more like the classic “waterfall”.

I realize this post may be important only to me, but I’ll say it anyway. I like Reaper, but it still feels like it is playing catch-up. Of the features in Cubase that I like that Reaper is lacking -

1. Refined audio warp. In Reaper you have to split, grab both edges and drag. It just doesn’t feel as good as Cubase. In fact, I don’t like that Reaper doesn’t have a sample editor. You have to edit in the project window.
  2. Expression maps. The closest you can get in Reaper is naming your notes, so you can tell where the keyswitches are. Not as cool and time-saving as Expression maps.
  3. Automatic tempo detection of material that was not recorded to a click.

One huge thing that Reaper has that Cubase lacks is a fully-working, not buggy VST Bridge, and a Rewire bridge.

There are other things where Reaper is lacking. Lack of SoundCloud integration, not being of particular importance though :wink:

In other words, even though Reaper costs something like 60 bucks, and gets you free updates for two full versions, I have made the decision, a fairly easy one for me, that Cubase is more useful to me, and as such, worth the price of admission. I do understand where others might feel differently.

It is just one point against it I agree. Just pointing out that things are never as bad as they seem in a forum goldfish bowl.

Not everyone uses the DAW for recording only purposes, just like not everyone owns an electrical business.