Workaround for expression map limitation with articulations?

The graphics for the GUI probably takes up more space than the instruments themselves! :laughing:

Not to get too OT, but has anyone used both Keyscape and Pianoteq and could give me their opinion of how the two compare? I have the former already and love it, though itā€™s a bit heavy on the resources. I love the thought of such a small program. Worth the investment? Iā€™d be recording solo piano. Thanks.

Dan, my go to is Ivory II (Synthogy). Itā€™s very resource heavy, though.

Well, at least the GUI does something, as well as looking pretty.

If you buy the ā€œproā€ version of Pianoteq, you have more than 2500 parameters you can tweak if you donā€™t like the piano sound ā€œstraight out of the boxā€. If you want to revoice and/or retune every note independently, you can - just like the real thing!

Dankrieder, I donā€™t have Keyscape, but Pianoteq is very light on resources. On my Intel I7 box the CPU meter is usually somewhere around the 5% mark.

Listening to demos and comparisons on YouTube, I get the impression Pianoteq is more about accurately simulating particular models of real pianos (they have endorsements from some big-name manufacturers), while Keyscape has easier access to a wider range of ā€œpiano-likeā€ sounds. But Pianoteq also have several electric keyboard instrument models (clavinet, Wurlitzer piano, etc) and I havenā€™t explored what they can do.

Hi everybody.

Iā€™m happy to announce that I have apparently found the solution to this problem with the staccato playback, with the help of dbudde over at this post. The solution is: NotePerformer assigns things like staccatos in the expressions map as control changes, so go to Play ā†’ Expression Maps ā†’ NotePerformer ā†’ Techniques (staccato) and delete the control change. It may have side-effects that I havenā€™t discovered yet, but for now Iā€™m content.

One side effect might be that you mess up staccato playing for other instruments in your score played by NP, if the technique has some effect apart from just changing the note length (think violin bowing techniques, or damping the string vibrations on a harp, for example).

You could make a copy of the expression map, edit the copy, and assign it to the keyboard instrument MIDI channel, to avoid that sort of side effect.

Okay. Thanks for the info.