Workaround for mixer going on top of plugin windows

Below is all irrelevant…was a bug with V2. Later version working well.

Just to be 100% sure did you try starting the exe direct rather than from your shortcut…or delete the 32bit version.
Seems odd if it’s the correct version as I’m also on W7 HP x64 with Cubase 7.04 64bit and it worked first time for me.

It appears the fix for modal dialog broke mixer Always on Top but not full screen (has same signature). Just fixed it. See new version attached to the original post. I also updated the icon. :slight_smile:

Thx Mud.
Channel settings now opening fine and multiple plugs as expected (sorry missed that V2 had lost that basic functionality when responding to Crochety)

AFAIK, everything that’s been reported except for the missing tooltips in Halion has been fixed. If I get time tonight, I’ll install Halion and take a look.

The Kontakt issue is still there I’m afraid…still not too much of a problem if you know about it.

I could only repro it by adding some new output channels and then deleting one of them in a new instance of Kontakt.

Further changes to outputs don’t seem to call the same dialogue.

HALion Sonic SE should be included with Cubase 7. However, I have noticed that some users have had problems with it not showing up. I believe it is on the installation disk and can be installed separately.

You may be able to see the problem with PadShop
PadShop---Tooltip.jpg

Should be fixed (V5). Add a check for anything with Window’s dialog class.

Hi Mud. First of all, let me echo that I really appreciate what you’re doing here but sorry, buddy, I can’t get this to work. I did briefly (a couple of widely-spaced times) but that was in v3. I was composing a reply to you and Grim (thanks!) and investigating but events overtook me! Now I have v5 but no joy at all.

Just to recap, I’ve got MC on top and plugins are set to start on top in prefs. I’m supposed to be able to open a second plugin while keeping the first one showing, right?

What do you recommend? Cubase first or second?

Anything I can do to check settings at this end?

Cheers,
C

Edit: nearly forgot to mention. Thanks, icon is now resplendent! :wink:

Yup.

It shouldn’t matter. However the order might give you some useful feedback. The first thing fxc (for lack of a better name) tries to do when you run it is hook into Cubase. If you run fxc before Cubase, it should say “Cubase not found. Waiting for Cubase to launch.” If you run fxc after Cubase, it should not say that (if it does, something is wrong).

One other consideration: fxcHook.dll can stay resident in Cubase even after you’ve killed fxc.exe. If you really want to be sure you’re running the latest version, make sure Cubase and fxc are both dead (check your process list), then restart both.

It’s also crucial, of course, that if you’re running 64 bit Cubase you run 64 bit fxc (ditto for 32 bit).

Ahh… I see that now. Unfortunately, my hook is not notified when tooltips are created. I might look into when I have time, just because figuring it out might be fun, but it doesn’t bother me much personally.

On v3 I think that the couple of times it worked right it was fxc first.

That’s the way it works here so that’s ok.

Pretty sure I’ve done that. Besides, I’ve tried both ways after a full shutdown and restart.

One other thing I should mention, although it’s probably a red herring. When I downloaded v3 I had given the zip a v3 suffix, extracted it and launched it from there but there was no difference in behaviour from v2. I searched the registry (CubaseAlwaysOnTopFixer) and found an entry in the Local Settings MUI cache (HKCR\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache). I deleted this and it worked - only briefly, sadly.

I think what was happening was the MUI key “fxc” was still pointing to v2 so when fxc.exe (v3) launched Windows found this key, went “a-ha” and promptly launched v2 instead of v3. This wouldn’t have happened if I’d overwritten the original zip but in case anyone else does it, that’s the fix.

Well, I appear to have finished my beer so it must be bedtime. I will check this tomorrow in case a good night’s sleep has made my computer reflect and decide it will play ball…

No joy today either. I’ve got the source code here, though. What will it take to set up a debugging regime on my machine?

Definitely more trouble that it’s worth. I’ll send you some contact information, maybe we can work it out together.

Jeez! thanks a lot.

Some guy for steinberg should pass here and at least say “thank you” If no hire you!

I don’t know about the guy from steinberg but I want to thank you!

So great of you to share this
Kenny

I’m feeling singled out, seems to work for everyone but me :frowning:

[Edit: got it to work by running as administrator (right-click), after which it ran ok without having to do that]

What a brilliant little download, works perfectly and makes the whole workflow so much easier, huge thumbs up to you, sell it steinberg, it transorms the MC/plugin workflow! No more-quadra clicking!, absolutely brilliant!!!

I bet the developers at Steinberg can’t live without it! :laughing:

Hello Mud,

big thanks. Your little application is very helpful for me.

Regards, Mikael

Hi Mud. I’ve been away from Cubase for a while so don’t know if this is a new thing but is anyone else reporting that the Alt-click sliders on plugin controls are missing? They work, but they’re invisible!

Cheers,
C