Workarounds for articulations with Noteperformer and VSL-Instruments

I bought recently Noteperformer Playback-Engines and use it with VSL-Instruments.

On the whole, I am very satisfied.

However, sometimes I don’t achieve the desired sound with the articulation and/or dynamics that I want to write down in the score.

For example, a leggiero with staccato dots and slurs is sometimes better achieved (depending on the instrument, tempo, pitch and dynamics) without any articulation symbol.

Or tied notes with accent on the first part sometimes sound more realistic with 2 separate notes and staccato dot on the first note (attached example: 1. what I want to write, 2. what I have to write to get the desired sound with low brass).

I know how to help myself, but the workarounds are all time-consuming.

I would like the following solution: a keyboard command (or tool) that either makes selected articulation symbols, slurs and ties, dynamic symbols invisible or (with a modifier key) cancels their effect on the sound.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-11 um 22.51.38
Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-11 um 22.53.22

Having an extra staff below or above, and then hiding it, is an elegant and fairly quick solution to this problem. You’re often going to have to change the look of the notation to get what you want, so just having it on a hidden staff is by far the best solution. Hidden staves are an excellent feature for precisely this kind of thing, but maybe you knew that already.

I tend to be with @Grainger2001 here. There are a lot of situations (ornaments and multinote tremolos being among the most obvious) where desired playback doesn’t match notation so an extra staff is often the best solution.

However, I would also welcome the ability to be able to hide certain articulations, particularly staccato dots or slurs as to correctly trigger the correct patch with certain libraries, they may need to be explicit in the score, even though they may be ambiguous or confusing for real players. So I have perhaps one foot in each camp here.

Hi Grainger2001 and dko22, thank you very much for your answers! I have not yet worked with workarounds, but I agree that in many cases an extra staff below or above is in fact the best solution. But if only a few symbols are affected (such as making a tie invisible or deactivating some staccato points), then I think that my suggestion would be simpler and faster.

If you create a Staccato playing technique which triggers the Staccato playback technique, apply it to one note and extend its length to cover as many notes as desired, you can trigger the appropriate switch in the expression map without using staccato dots. Similarly, you can use the Legato playing technique to trigger the appropriate switch in the expression map without using slurs:

For this image, the Continuation type for the Staccato and Legato playing techniques was changed from None to Line.

You can then hide the playing techniques.

Much more time-consuming than my suggestion!
I also have to think about my composition students who work with Dorico SE or Elements at home (and only occasionally in my studio with my equipment) to whom I would like to explain in the limited teaching time other things than creating playing techniques and expression maps.
Especially for beginners and people with little time, simple solutions should be possible.

In some maps I have actually used a staccato p.t, simply so I can hide it which you can’t do with dots so to some extent we’re on the same wavelength but to be honest, the suggestion as illustrated seems to me rather inelegant as well as a bit time consuming (the former actually being the main issue). But of course it is indeed another way round the problem.

There is one major disadvantage with adding an extra staff above or below: Condensing then no longer works.
Then the only option is to work with hidden instruments for the sound and visible instruments for the correct notation. This was probably standard for most of us in the pre-Dorico era.

The perhaps create a separate player altogether to play what you wish to add, and then hide that staff/Player throughout manually at a System or Frame break added on measure 1.