Workflow cludge: compose to video w/ x64, x86, 6.0.2, 6.5.4

I can’t compose to picture using any Cubase version after 6.0.2 in either x86 or x64 due to video playback issues. Steinberg won’t authorize me to use both 6.0.2 and 6.5.4 in x64 without buying a second license (a non-starter) so I have to choose which version of Cubase to use, 6.0.2 or 6.5.4, with which version of Win7, x86 or x64.

I’m considering a workflow whereby I compose to video in 6.0.2 (with all the unfixed bugs) then mixdown in 6.5.4 (with all the included bug-fixes) I’m looking for opinions about which Cubase version to use in which Win7 version. I guess what it comes down to is where will the extra memory and bug-fixes be more fully utilized? Seems to me that using VST intruments whilst writing will require more memory. Once finished I would render everything to audio and reopen the project in 6.5.4 x86 for mixing.

Confused yet? I certainly am. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any insightful constructive opinions.

No, your valid 6.5 license grants you the use of any previous version of the software. No ‘authorize’ necessary.

Just to be sure, I just uninstalled my Cubase x86 version of 6.0.2 and install the x64 version. All it did was roll back my Cubase x64 version of 6.5.4 to 6.0.2.

I did a system restore but it didn’t work so I’ll have to reinstall Cubase from scratch and try it again. Thanks! :wink: Seriously, perhaps I did something wrong. Can you guide me through the steps involved in installing both 6.0.2 and 6.5.4 x64? Technical support informed me it wasn’t possible but they’ve been known to be wrong. Thanks.

Ah… I understand your issue now. No you can’t have both 6.0.2 and 6.5.4 installed at the same time on the same machine. So, if you’re trying to do this all on one computer, (unless you do some kind of dual-boot system) you’re out of luck. The only answer is to have one version installed on one computer, and the other version installed on another computer.

So this is not a license issue. It’s an issue to do with the limitations of the Cubase 6 / 6.5 installer–and that is… unfortunately, not something you’re going to be able to fix. You’ll have to install them on separate computers or under some kind of dual boot system.

The point that ArjanP made is still valid. Your 6.5 LICENSE will allow you to run either version.

It’s odd, I have no video playback issues in 6.5.3 (and I use that feature regularly). I DO have video playback issues in Cubase 7, but I’m fairly certain that’s a known issue. Then again, I’m using a Mac, and don’t have a billion potentially problematic codecs installed on my machine that could foul up the works like so many windows machines have.

Yeah, that’s right! I forgot that 6.5 overwrote 6.0. But there was a workaround at the time to have both installed anyway - I remember from the forum, people were trying it. Maybe you can search the older posts for it…

@SLD Music

I already have a sort of multi-boot system in that my OS drives are swappable; it’s way more trouble free and straight forward than dual booting for me. At present I only have two of three swappable drives in use, one for image capture and editing and another for audio. I pre-installed Win7 x64 on the third drive so I guess i could use that; it’s about 40 hours of installing and updating. I still have to decide where and when in the workflow to use x86 vs x64 since I can’t switch back and forth from 6.0.2 to 6.5.4.

As for my video issues, this behavior with video playback in Cubase coincided with the addition of “video boost”. I’ve been over this with tech support and others who suggested new video cards but my cards are powerful enough to work with Cubase 6.0.2 and, much more telling, the graphics intensive Premiere CS6. My current cards’ performance with Premiere prove they’re not the problem.

Video ceased to play after Steinberg mucked about with the CPU core allocation with the addition of “video boost” (see version history). That is the truth of the matter. I believe it’s more than likely sloppy, poorly implemented coding and decision making; someone writing that code knew what might happen when implementing such a fundamental change in CPU operation in the middle of a version’s life cycle and someone signed off on it.

Why Steinberg would add a “feature”, one that effects CPU operation at such a fundamental level before completing known bug fixes is beyond me. If a function stops working for me from one version to the next that is often to be expected but to have something break in the middle of it’s life cycle then be unable to avail myself of any subsequent bug-fixes as a result is unconscionable. If I was the only one who had video problems it would be different but I’m not.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I’m just trying to find a work around to a very long standing issue. I like the idea of using my third swappable drive; it just means a lot of work that I wasn’t prepared for. It really is a good idea, thanks.

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot. I would prefer it over building a new OS drive.

That’s a shame, Optofonik.

Video playback issues are one of (but not the only) reason I can’t yet use Cubase 7 primarily. But 6.5 works well for me, so I’m not in any hurry. I know what it’s like to deal with a long standing issue for which a solution is not easily found though. I sympathize. Good luck.

Thanks. The only solution is going to be with me finding a work around. Again, I like your idea and it really is the right way to begin implementing a solution. My logic about which OS to use is that using 6.0.2 under x64 during initial writing won’t inhibit using my sample libraries. I can render everything to audio tracks and save two versions of the project; one, a copy that can be opened up in 6.5.4, and another that will still work in 6.0.2 in case something in the composition needs changing. In such a situation any work I’ve accomplished in 6.5.4 would be useless unless maybe I can make a template out of the mixing work I’ve already done would work with the new version of the music.

Only one way to find out and I’ll know soon enough. Thanks again.