Working with large scores in Dorico 4: ideas?

But then everything comes out 60% of the size it is on the 40" screen.

I strongly recommend using a monitor arm. I can easily navigate my 27-inch screen as close to me as I wish, or push it back when I wish. And it’s far better of a picture quality than a large monitor.

The interesting thing is the absolutely AMAZING hit on performance when this feature is enabled. Just moving a single note up one step took about 1.2 seconds to register. Without player groups, this operation is pretty instantaneous in my current score.

David

As an example, part of a screenshot, exactly 100 x 100 mm:
At this size and zoom factor in Dorico, an A4 page is displayed in portrait mode as a 38 x 27 cm page. The visible screen surface is 48.5 cm high. And as you can see, the image is clear and sharp enough . In fact, even when looking at 15 cm distance, I cannot distinguish the individual pixels of the display.
The higher display resolution of a physically smaller screen (of 27" for example), at same absolute number of pixels, is only visible/useful when editing photos or videos, I’m afraid. As I have both a 32" and 40" 4K display, I choose always the 40" display for scoring work on orchestral scores.

1 Like