Wow Cubase 9 The best Cubase ever!!

render in place seems faster

I played with it for about 2 hours before my session and it was working really good. No problems with Jbridge or anything at all. Produced a track really quick with no issues at all. It was super quick and snappier than 8.5. THEN…My session got here. I was feeling pretty confident. I go to tune the girls vocals in Variaudio and the darn Chord track is not displaying the colors right in Variaudio. It’s THE one and only thing that has got me crippled right now so I will wait til they fix it before I jump in full. The added features from 8.5 to 9 is not worth me dealing with having to spend so much time tuning vox. BTW, 8.5 still opens up just fine here too. Alot of folks complaining that 8.5 no longer opens for them.

Must agree, this was the best update in ages. All the new features are well executed workflow improvements and the programm runs like a charm. Love the lower Zone and the new transport-section. I did not even realize how annoying all these editor windows were, before I tried c9 for the first time.
Not looking back a second.

Please continue to focus on workflow instead of new vsti´s / etc.

Completely agree because we can get anything we are missing with 3rd party purchases but workflow enahncements we are dependent on Steinberg. Update to the macros (duplicate, move up and down, delay etc.) and being able to grab and change values of automation based on selection are my two biggest drawbacks.

I love that the transport can now be docked and things like Pre and Post roll aren’t dependent on a floating transport. The multiple undo’s in the mixer are also very nice.

If the Pro Tools style offline automation could be added to Cubase that would be so helpful. Back in Pro Tools 6.9 I think it was where you could even bottom and top out the automation nodes and they would be remembered, so extreamly helpful when you dial something like a vocal. Even the similar thing Logic added back in version 8 copying Pro Tools is helpful but not as good as Pro Tools.

Regardless I purchased the upgrade and have been a supporter since version Cubase SX 1
Pro Tools - Offline Automation.gif
Logic - Offline Automation.gif
Cubase - Offline Automation.gif

Sorry, I’m confused. Cubase has had powerful automation scaling for a while now. I use it all the time.

You need to be using the Object Selection tool, not the Range Selection.
cubase9-automation.gif

I would agree that Cubase 9 is the best yet, and once I settled in to a workflow with the new interfaces (which can be managed quite a few ways) and discovered the Inspector Editor (bottom of the Inspector), I am warming to it. Even so, there is not much to this update and a lot of things that easily could have been done have not been addressed. My guess (only a guess) is a lot of development staff were deployed to Dorico, or walking the directors dog… or something. There are no MIDI improvements I can find. I shoudl like to know if anyone finds any

Z

So far, I like it too. Mixer undo/redo, docking, lower part editing, all nice. Smooth on my Hack. Only drawback: lots of legit 64-bit plug ins are marked as dangerous by Sentinel. And I mean lots, like more than 10.
I enabled a couple of them by hand(the ones I really need), they seem to work OK.
Also, my personal light grey color scheme got hosed.

My very limited test after updating to Pro 9 was positive. I opened quite a busy 8.5 project and did a mix-down without issues. I like the layout actually and, yes, it seems a lot snappier and the new features look good. I have moved entirely over to 64bit plugs so there were just a couple of old 32bit plugs blacklisted.

I’ll check it out more thoroughly over the weekend, starting a new project from scratch. So far so good :smiley:

You might just need to uncheck the new option “Use Project Colors” checkbox in prefences (see attachment).

Thanks the issue I have is that I need it to create four automation nodes based on the selection. Otherwise you trim up and down ramping to the new location when usually that is not what I am after so I have to click a lot more than I need to. In some ways the offline automation is even more powerful with the handles on the side I agree and I very much like that especially with MIDI workflows.

Even in your example though the automation data gets lost when it maxes out unlike in Pro Tools. Anyway I should have posted elsewhere. Didn’t mean to derail in anyway, thank you for your gif and reply.

Cubase 9 is great and I welcome any and all improvements, it will be particularly useful for when working on my laptop, I do like the links to what is clicked. It reminded me a lot of what Logic has had for years and had to simplify in version 8 because there were too many options with how things linked. Of course Steinberg implemented it different and not was displayed.

That is killing me too, it appeares that they only have two colors right now and left out green for part of the chord. Only the scale shows up. I’ll probably stick with 8.5 until this is fixed, since I use that a lot. Another big wish of mine would be to have the chord track show up in Vari-audio which would also make things much easier to get to where I want to be musically much faster.

Thank you Steinberg for being advanced and simple at the same time, that is difficult to do well.
Cubase 8.jpg
Colors.jpg

This is indeed a great update. The workflow enhancements are briljant, especially when you work with one screen, ultrawide. The amount of time and annoyance I will spare due to the lower zone and the sample track far make up for the 100 euro’s it cost me to upgrade. I love this focus on workflow enhancements, as what there is to work with is already very good.

I’m also happy from upgrade. Not everything work flawlessly (minor glitches here and there) but generally it’s very good upgrade.
New workflow is beetr than I thought as I don’t like similar docking in Ableton, here midi editor in lower zone is great.

I have to say the more I use it the more I like it. I can finally use the score editor in the way I’d like to by putting it into the lower zone. At last, it displays the score properly given what’s selected in the arrange window. It feels smooth to operate too.

+1
Apart from some minor issues, it offers the best workflow I ever had, compared to any previous Cubase version, and even to some other PC DAWs I’ve tried over the years.

I’m lovin’ it so far too!

Yes,very nice indeed.

Well the Ozone component plugins are blacklisted, but I had them inactive anyway in favor of the vst3 version. I haven’t tried to reactivate the VST2… I suspect it’d probably be okay but there’s no point.

So far I give this all available thumbs up. The jury is still out on the mixer … we’re not talking dockable here, and when you open the mixer in a seperate window, it can’t be AOT … but the “lower zone” is a solution for laptop users with semi-decent screen resolutions.

So, yes, everything that those above have said, this is primarily a workflow update which may not suit everyone; I suspect many who are on a stable 8.5 will be happy to wait, but I do admit I was smiling on several occasions as I realised just how simple things are going to get from now on, once I get used to this!

So,far so good here!

I think it’s a solid upgrade, and what I like most so far is that it has been stable for me on Win 10. I got it on Grace Period, so did not have to spend time deciding whether upgrade or not in terms of money. Love fixed transport bar, overall clean up of UI, lower zone might be useful, will see, but for more demanding tasks have to go full screen editor anyway. Finally, they changed the GUI of some plugins - hope they will continue with that.

Frankly, I don’t believe those poor new feature deserve to go from 8.5 to 9.0 and ask 100€ for that !!

“The most stable daw on the market” crashed 3 times the first day ! And some bugs are still there !!! This is the most amazing ! Track loop from more than 2 bar still weird and doesn’t work as it should.

And still no way to have some LFO, midi triggered envelope or any usual modulation source assignable to any automation parameter ! THIS would have been a GREAT new feature that would deserve 9.0 instead of 8.6 (as it should be) !

I don’t see any really new feature, just improvements and many bugs remain there ! More time pass by and more I’m thinking to change daw. And I use cubase since 20 years, now !