Write a courtesy guide for a Cadenza

Thanks everyone for your help. I’m going to try my best to find a way to fix this specific case here. Greetings from Rio de Janeiro and thank you!

The answer is above, as outlined by the other users here, but I think if you get some practice at doing other things with Dorico then you might be able to understand a little better how they’ve done it - it’s just a little bit fiddly, that’s all.

Best
Edd

Thanks Ed. That’s what I’ve been doing since I switched to Dorico, copying old scores that are no longer published with no problems in the process. Until that specific challenge came along. I have already solved many others by myself… but this one is taking me more time.

Jorge, have you opened my (ready made) Dorico Example.dorico project I uploaded?
https://forums.steinberg.net/uploads/short-url/xWb7FQSTMKvUkQG2CA2JZIoBxqb.dorico
You would just need to select and copy that bar.

Another question: who is the author of the piece you are trying to transcribe?
My guess: it is a piano or oboe concerto in f-Minor…

K_b Yes, it is the Rietz Konzertstück for oboe, I have the individual parts but not the score.
How did you know it was for oboe??.. lol :laughing: :rofl:

As I said before, I am practicing by copying scores…some from the 17th and 18th century at the same time that I am learning as difficulties appear. That’s how I learned Sibelius and Finale. But now I don’t use them anymore, I fell in love with Dorico when I downloaded Dorico free version. I felt that I wanted something more and I bought it.

1 Like

Jorge, it looked like f-Minor, as the cadenza ends in c-Major. That’s not a key for a string instrument, so may be pianoforte or even better oboe. So it was just a guess, see bar 92 of the first flute part :wink:
Rietz op. 33.pdf (281.9 KB)

1 Like

Hahaha K_b bravo !! you are a true detective. It is exactly that part that I am transcribing. I have all the material and I only need the score. Well done !!

Concerning the two little cue notes in your example: I would add them with Dorico’s Cue function (Popover-U). So it is best to finish transcribing all your parts into the Dorico project and do these little cue notes at the end.
As you will be able to paste your cue to the other parts of the orchestra.
If I have a look at the solo oboe part: it has a written out cadenza in bar 92. This is indeed challenging, and I know it somehow can be done in Dorico by defining an open Tempo for just the solo oboe and for just that bar 92. To be honest, I have never done it myself, but it would be interesting to know, how to exactly achieve this.
Oboe solo Cadenza.pdf (348.2 KB)

just out of curiosity I tried my luck, changing the meter in bar 92 to open meter (shift-m, x), filling in the oboe cadenza, then in the next bar changing the meter back to 3/8.
In the accompanying instruments one has to remove some rests and use Engrave mode to shift things a bit closer, but it works.
There are two things, Dorico can’t solve yet:
a) the original beaming in the oboe in bar 76
original beaming
Dorico beaming

and b) the cue function at the end of the cadenza.
First: obviously you can’t display the cue with sixteenth notes - if the source instrument (solo oboe) is playing 32nd notes. And secondly: because the two horns change to bass clef, the appoggiatura notes can’t be displayed with the cue function (as they belong to the next bar - at least in Dorico at this time):
Rietz_Koncertstück op. 33 - Andante sostenuto - excerpt_bar 75-end.dorico (3.7 MB)

Lovely music, by the way…

1 Like

As far as a) is concerned…

This option has been added in 3.5, IIRC.

2 Likes

Thank you Marc, this is solved now :slight_smile:
I always forget looking at the Notation Options…
was just relying on Property Panel and on Context Menu…

1 Like

Thank you all! I’ll try later, now I’m not at home this weekend…and here in Brazil is holidays and lots of sun and beaches! Going back I will try all the suggestions. Thank you !

Hi all! Thanks for the kind help from all of you. I already solved the problem and not only that, I discovered other wonders that Dorico provides us. Talking yesterday with a friend from Chile, I commented how happy I am with Dorico and invited him to download the free version. I’m here every day studying and copying a lot of music to train, and when doubts appear (as I’m already understanding Dorico’s logic) I go and immediately put what I’ve learned into practice. Thanks to all for the help!

1 Like