Write Mode vs. Engrave Mode

I am continually being tripped up by what you can do in Write vs. Engrave Mode. Like just now: I know you can only enter a system break in Engrave Mode. But if you want to move an existing system break, you have to be in Write mode. What is the rationale for this? I understand that Engrave mode is supposed to be for less substantive changes than Write mode, which do not change the essence of the music. But moving a break is surely a lesser change than inserting one?

Dear Kim,
I think you’re absolutely right. I think the reason that broke the rationale here is that there is Dorico Elements, which is a restricted version of Dorico Pro (but same software). The Dorico Elements users need to input and move system breaks, but do not have access to Engrave mode (that’s the main difference with the pro version, along with restricted number of players). The devs will probably allow us to “move” the breaks in Engrave mode, just like it is possible to do in Write mode, when they devote time to it. But they’re probably using their precious time to work on new features, which I think is the right thing to do! I’d rather have them work on things that do not exist rather than fine tuning features we already can use… my two cents :wink:

I can’t find the previous thread, but Daniel gave a method for using system break shortcut in write mode which worked brilliantly.

I’d link to the actual post but I’d really like to remind people how easy it can be to search for this information.

Click this link, which is a standard Google search. dorico system break shortcut write mode daniel - Google Search

Take note of the search terms, and compare them to Steve’s previous post on this thread. There’s no magic here at all!

Then click the top Google result and either use your browser’s Find/Search function or just scroll down until you see Daniel’s name.

edit: it seems it does have to be Google. I don’t get the same results from Bing, Ask or Yahoo…

Be aware that no Google search results are the same for everyone. Google is keeping track of what you have searched for in the past and which websites you are visiting, creating a (shadow) profile of you and then suggesting things that it thinks might be relevant for you. So, someone who is frequently searching for information about Dorico might get different top results than someone who has never done this before. Bing, Ask and Yahoo probably do something similar but might yield different results for you because you haven’t used these services very often (and, of course, their algorhithms are different).

VIPStephan, that’s a very good point, so I decided to test it.

I connected via a VPN server in Chile that I have never used, went to Google.com from a Chrome Incognito mode (i.e. not logged in and with none of my own cache or cookies) and searched for the terms again.

The result that I wanted is no longer the first result, but it’s the second result. Obviously I haven’t tested every possible computer belonging to every user in every possible country, but I think my point stands. The forum search sucks but Google does a brilliant job of spidering this stuff.

Precisely, because “Dorico” is a pretty uncommon word. Another stroke of genius by the team.