Writing for band in Dorico 3

Greetings!

This is my first post here on the forums and I would like to start by thanking the Dorico team for creating a truly exceptional program!

While I absolutely love the new condensing feature AND the somewhat older section divisi options. I seem to have run into a predicament where the two overlap. I have been commissioned to write a piece for concert band and it seems neither section or solo players give me the options I want/need.

For those of you unaware, writing for band is much different then writing for orchestra. While in an orchestra each part is played by an individual player, in a band each part can be played by many players. For example; on “Flute 1” there might be 4 individuals all playing the “Flute 1” music.

Now we come to the issues, some major and some minor. If I want to make “Flute 1 & 2” “Section Players” then not only am I not able to use the aforementioned game-changing condensing feature. More importantly, I cannot switch instruments: Ex. Flute to Piccolo or Alto to Soprano Sax. Now if I make each part an “Individual Player” I am able to condense. However, I cannot write divisi or solo with gli altri.

Any suggestions on how I can work around these issues would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Hi.

I ran into the same issue.
Just forget about how many players will sit behind their stands. Use Solo Players everywhere and you will be 99% fine.
(There’s even a remark in the documentation about this case.)

If you really need divisi somewhere, then this part is the exception to the rule.

Welcome to the forum, stelthtalon. In the future we expect that it will be possible to use condensing both with section players and indeed with divisi, but there is a hard line between them at the moment.

Thank you for the quick responses. I think what I am going to do is make two piccolo “solo players”, two flute “section players”, one clarinet “solo player”, three clarinet “section players”, and everyone else a “solo player”.

In the future we expect that it will be possible to use condensing both with section players and indeed with divisi, but there is a hard line between them at the moment.

That is good to know Daniel. I knew I made the right choice when I switched over! :smiley: