Thanks for all the answers.
What I exactly did ist:
- Open an old Finale file in Finale 27 and convert it to XML 4 and to XML 3.1
- Open both file in Dorico 3.5
- As I wrote I get some errors opening the XML 4 file but Dorico can open it and it looks almost the same as the XML 3.1 one.
The only difference is that the full track names are not recognized from the XML 4 file.
Otherwise everything is identical in the full score as well as in the parts.
These are the errors, there are several of each type at different position of the file:
ERROR - Element ‘part-link’: This element is not expected. Expected is one of ( identification, part-name ).
ERROR - Element ‘swing’: This element is not expected. Expected is one of ( midi-device, midi-instrument, play, offset ).
ERROR - Element ‘direction’, attribute ‘system’: The attribute ‘system’ is not allowed.
ERROR - Element ‘bass’, attribute ‘arrangement’: The attribute ‘arrangement’ is not allowed.
ERROR - Element ‘measure-numbering’, attribute ‘multiple-rest-always’: The attribute ‘multiple-rest-always’ is not allowed.
I think I will further work with XML 3.1
BTW I am not trying to create a new document in Dorico from a XML file as it is too convoluted to get all things right.
I simply open the XML file and a new file in Dorico and I copy each track manually from the XML file to the new Dorico file