XML Chord Symbol Import Strangeness

Music in Sib 2018.5:

I exported it to MusicXML.

Imported into Dorico:

How can I tell Dorico to use C7(b9) instead of C7(addb9)? I couldn’t find anything in Engraving Options that would do it.

Also, is there a global way to search and replace chord symbol text?

**Leigh
doricochords.png
sibchords.png

You can simply edit that chord symbol by double-clicking it and enter “C7b9” to get the result you want. You can’t, unfortunately, do this for multiple chord symbols at once, so you’ll need to edit each of them in turn (though at least you only have to do it for one instrument, since they’re attached to the system rather than to individual instruments).

Thanks, Daniel.

And thank you so much for the wonderful chord symbol handling in Dorico!

**Leigh

Hello everyone,

Any news about this problem? I have a 32 bars tune full of C7b9 chord symbols with exercises transpose to 12 keys. A. lot of them to be handle one by one. Is there any fix or work around other than edit each one?

Thans a lot

Do you mean you want to transpose a passage: both the notes and the chord symbols, simultaneously? If so, make sure you use the System Track, a marquee selection or Select All to include the chord symbols before transposing.

Thank you Pianoleo,

I am sorry, I didn’t mean that. What I am after is the original question, answered by Daniel in this post:

No, there’s no update in that area - you’ll still need to edit the chord symbols individually (or I guess you could edit one, then Alt-click it over each of the other C7add9s to replace them).

Edit: I might be wrong. Am looking into it…

I am wondering, since it has been four years and it is a very common chord.

… thank you Pianoleo

Sibelius encodes C7(b9) like so in MusicXML:

If you open the MusicXML in a text editor and do a find and replace for <degree-type>add</degree-type> replacing with <degree-type>alter</degree-type> , then save the file and load it in Dorico, Dorico will correctly display 7(b9) chord symbols (not just for C, but for all roots).

You should take this up with Sibelius.

In the meantime, nothing’s really changed in this area in Dorico. It wasn’t mentioned on this thread four years ago, but even then one could have used the Chord Symbols Project Default Appearances to create an override for C7(addb9) to remove the “add” component. The problem there is that that only fixes the C7(addb9)s, not the C# 7(addb9)s or the D7(addb9s) or any of the others - you’d still have to do each root separately.

1 Like

Pianoleo, you are a genius!!!

I am going to try right now!!! You save me hours of editing… I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thank you so much for your time.

Pianoleo,

I report back that following your instructions the “7b9” chord symbols are imported correctly!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and your time. You opened a door that it was close all this years. And the problem wasn’t Dorico, the problem is the exporting file produce by Sibelius.

All the best!

1 Like