XML export request

Is there any chance the following musicxml tags can be implemented soon in Dorico? I believe they’ve been around since version 2.0 of musicxml.
<< "supports element=“print” type=“yes” value=“yes” attribute=“new-system” >>
and the corresponding tags were the actual system breaks are.
The “New-system” tag would correspond to a system break.

I have some long term work that requires the final product in musicxml. I’m afraid I’m going to have to go back to Sibelius (or learn MuseScore) to get it done. Disappointing.

That’s a good request. But the problem with musicXML export in some engraving programs is that it always lags or is inadequate because the benefit is to other programs, and the export function does nothing to improve the core functionality of the program. Lilypond and its companion Frescobaldi have the same issue. Music XML export is under-developed and buggy, because the open source team lacks resources to deal with non-core functionality. I’d say the same thing applies to Dorico team probably.

But I am told if you label the idea with ‘feature-request’ as you have done it is heeded and goes on their list, which has cardinality Aleph Zero, of course. :slight_smile:

You don’t need to add the “feature-request” tag to the thread – we (I) read everything on the forum and take note of every new request that comes up, regardless of how it is tagged or worded.

I’m sorry that the lack of support for system formatting in Dorico’s MusicXML export is causing you great inconvenience. I’m not sure what it would take to add these elements given the current capabilities of our exporter, but I will talk to the team and see what they think.

I saw it as an option so I figured I’d add it. I might just add the necessary fields manually or write a quick sed batch file to do it.

I agree entirely, but I’ve got to use some program to produce xml files with system breaks so why not Dorico since I do use its great features for printing out or exporting to PDF files.

Why not Dorico? Because it does not work right. Sadly MusicXML has never become the universal all encompassing music interchange format that was initially envisioned. It’s because it is not really a good model for all possible music. If it was, all engraving programs would simply use that as their internal model. MusicXML is nowhere near on a par with the success of PDF.

Very true but when the one paying you says they want the music in XML format, well? A system break and page break are part of Dorico already and part of the xml standard so I was disappointed to see that Dorico doesn’t export system & page breaks in its implemenation of xml.

That just tells you that they do not understand that every program producing XML format produces something different!

They are aware of it. Most of the other engravers use musescore, some sibelius. I’m the first Dorico user they’ve had. (I understand even the sibelius export doesn’t always work as they’d like). It’s a steep learning curve for me.

Presumably, though, XML is not the final product, but is processed further?

I had an employer who asked me for xml files as final product, because they were using the Verovio engine to display their music. I showed them how this amazing tool (to analyze Bach or whatever clever music) was not suited to display complex piano music (with cross-stave notes)… Two years later, they finally chose… nicely engraved pdfs! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It is processed further, in real time (I think) on a website. It uses the xml tags I mentioned for formatting. Some of the processing allows for transposing the music and showing just lyrics (with or without chords). As far as I know you can’t do this with a pdf file.

If your scores are not too complex (especially they don’t have lots of nested tuplets), it should be quite quick to run your Dorico XML through MuseScore and make any specific adjustments there.

I may end up doing that, although I’ve never installed let alone used MuseScore. Trying to remember how to do things in three different notation programs is a problem. I also discovered that neither Dorico nor Sibelius exports staff text.

I think you’re on to something with this hack, but it would be wonderful if Dorico could implement the requested xml support. For the project I’m working on, we’re trying to decide on our workflow for encoding music that will be used for both computational analysis (using MEI in some form) and for print/PDF purposes. Because Dorico gives me the layout and graphic control I like/need for print, I’d really like to use Dorico for our notation input flow because that makes the print applications easy to satisfy. But, we will need to take that same musical material and export it so that it can be encoded as MEI as the “canonical” digital representation of the music that records ambiguity found in the original manuscript notations (historical manuscripts).

I totally understand that a feature request for an MEI exporter (like the plugin Andrew Hankinson created for Sibelius) is likely beyond the scope of resources that Dorico could feasibly provide at this time, but having the ability to export .xml that can be imported directly into an MEI editor for further tagging would be really terrific. If we have to run Dorico files through Muse score to get clean/useable xml, then we might chose MuseScore for our notation input flow, and then just have one or two people work with Dorico to prepare folios for print.

1 Like