xml import - all verses on top of each other

I just downloaded the dolet plugin 6 for use with Sibelius 7 but when I try to insert it into the plugins folder it says to “authenticate” it" Not sure what the procedure is to do this. Would you happen to know? thanks…Brett

Are you on Windows or macOS, Brett?

On macOS, at least, when I download the Dolet 6 plug-in, I get a zip file, which I expand to get a disk image, and when I mount the disk image, I see:

I suggest you install the plug-ins as follows. In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder, and in the pop-up window that appears, paste the following:

~/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 7/

Be sure to include the tilde (~) at the start of the line above. When you hit Return, a new Finder window should open, pointing at the above location. You will hopefully see a folder named Plugins in this location. If you don’t, you can create it: type Shift-Command-N to create a new folder, and change its name to Plugins. (Make sure you don’t add a hyphen in “plug-ins”.)

Double-click the Plugins folder. Now drag the MusicXML folder from the mounted disk image into this location.

Now start Sibelius 7: in the Plug-ins menu on the Home tab of the ribbon you should see the MusicXML plug-ins appearing in a MusicXML category.

1 Like

Thanks again for your help…I can’t see my last reply but just to say I was successful in loading and using that Dolet plug in. From the xml export created by Dolet, I imported the xml file into both Sibelius7 and Dorico 4. It was better in Dorico, but much clearer still in Sibelius (I’m referring to the lyric arrangement mostly but also the pages were a bit skewed (dorico added a page) Being as, a large part of my gig involves importing PDF files, and then converting them so I can use them in a manuscript app, Sibelius still does the process better, especially the lyrics. Do you know of perhaps a PDF converter of better quality which might help? I am trying to switch apps as I don’t like subscription based apps, which Sibelius has become, but so far Dorico seems to increase my work time. I know this is much to do with the fact that I’m just beginning to learn it, but the pdf to app process is an important one…thanks…Brett

I guess you’re using PhotoScore with Sibelius, right? You might want to give PlayScore a try, but it doesn’t operate on PDFs, rather on photos that you can snap with your phone camera, then send the MusicXML to your computer.

In general Dorico’s MusicXML import is pretty good, but in my opinion it works better when you give it a free hand and don’t force it to match the formatting of the original document. On the MusicXML Import page of Preferences I’d be tempted to switch off more or less all of the checkboxes (except maybe for the one that tells Dorico to import text items). This will mean that the project will use Dorico’s default page layout.

However, it should be the work of a few seconds to go to Layout Options and adjust the page and staff size (and possibly the note spacing value) to get things looking pretty close to the original, formatting-wise. Then you can switch to Engrave mode and quickly adjust the casting off as needed.