XML import error – Trumpet – PC only

I use a PC. When I import an XML file I always have the Trumpet part(s) coming up as it being a Trumpet in E (see attached pic). This is quite frustrating as other Bb Instruments (Clarinets and Tenor Saxs) display and transpose correctly. Just in case the file was being skewed in some way, I created a file of a single Bb trumpet (100bars of crotchet C’s) in Sibelius (Ultimate – pfft!) and exported it as an uncompressed XML file. Upon import, on a fresh install of Dorico, the results were as shown. (Fig1)

Interestingly (and a little worrying), in Dorico, I created a Bb Trumpet part and wrote 3 bars of Crotchet C’s and exported this an XML file as well. I then immediately reimported it and the results were as example 2. (BTW, I have moved the stave over – in photoshop, just to save space). To be presented as it being in B and being Atonal as well is, shall we say, ‘unexpected’ especially as I made a point of selecting Bb from the trumpet options. It could be argued there are many transpositions for Trumpet (and I rebut by pointing out there are many for Clarinets as well (C, Eb &A)) so I cannot accept this is by design as Clarinets are (and always have been) fine.

Over 90% of my work is via XML import and I have to manually go and change instruments, to trumpets in Bb to correct the error. Yes, it can be done but I feel it should be a process that I should not need to do.

I have tested this within our company on two different PC’s (not local machines) and get similar types of errors, however, running the same test on Mac (High Sierra) everything appears fine.

I have attached all the examples I’ve mentioned in the attached zip file.
I welcome any and all input.
trumpet in E.jpg
trumpet in E.jpg
Test files.zip (143 KB)
dorico xml.jpg
trumpet in E.jpg

Firstly, dealing with the export from Dorico: Dorico’s MusicXML export is very rudimentary and doesn’t yet include information about instrument transposition, so that would be the expected behaviour for the time being.

I think somehow you must have made a configuration change to the instrument names on your Windows machines that is causing the difference in behaviour. Can you look in %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 2 folder and see if you have a file called userlibrary.xml in there? If so, please zip it up and attach it here. Then move it out of the way temporarily, and see whether when you import your 100-bar trumpet MusicXML file, you get the expected B flat trumpet. I suspect you will!

Daniel,

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t have the file ‘userlibrary.xml’ anywhere in the PC. NB. I did perform this test as the very first thing I did on a brand new install of Dorico (and uninstalled the previous using Revo uninstaller, there were no residual files to mess things up) and I confirm, I’ve not been ‘messing’ about with custom instruments either.

As an update, I performed the same test again on a third PC (we have 4 copies of Dorico in the company) and sorry to say the issue is on that one as well. I’ll contact them and see if they have the file - I suspect not, but if they do I’ll forward them on.

Thanks

Doing a clean install won’t remove any user data lurking about on the computer: when you uninstall the application, your preferences etc. will be retained. Can you send me a screenshot of the files that you do have in the %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 2 folder?

Revo Uninstaller is a program for the PC which is specifically designed to find and remove and bits and bobs that are left over from the normal windows uninstall. When Revo installs a program it databases every single item and any/all registry enties and uninstalls absolutely everything when the program is uninstalled so I don’t think leftovers are the issue.

I’ve attached the zip file of the directory listing as requested.
Dorico File List.zip (461 KB)

I’ve just downloaded TopDots’s files and have found a strange result on my mac:

If I open the “100 bars c-trumpet” XML file in Dorico, or import it into a blank project, I get:

If I import exactly the same XML file into an existing project [it doesn’t matter whether I tell Dorico to merge or create new players] I get this:

That’s a very interesting discovery, Leo, thanks. I’ll investigate this further.