XP to W7 discussion thread.

Really, go 64bit for win7. And 32 Bit for Cubase…

Hey Dyl,

First off, yes you could install Win7 64 bit and still just use 32 bit applications the whole way - you still have memory advantages (each 32 bit app can access up to 4GB memory, rather than about 3GB shared amongst all apps together in 32 bit OS).

All those apps you mention work fine in 64 bit OS (most of them now have 64 bit versions) - I’m also using Novation controller, m-audio controllers, and a podXT with editor & PODFarm.

So you can use your 32 bit versions of everything, or you can (gradually perhaps) start to use 64 bit versions of stuff. For the plug-ins you mention, the Cubase built-in bridge will let the 32 bit plugins work with 64 bit Cubase. The only plugins I know of that need jBridge now are Waves and some older Arturia plugs - and even Waves are going 64 bit in a couple of months!

(And jBridge is really easy to use if you do find you need it!)

The thing with 64 bit is that you end up with two Program Files folders on your system disk (usually C:). One of these is called “Program Files (x86)” and this is where all your 32 bit programmes get installed into, so there will be a ‘Steinberg’ folder in here with a ‘VSTPlugins’ folder in it, and this is where you put plugins for 32 bit applications to access them - e.g. if you were running Cubase 32 bit.

The other ‘Program Files’ folder (just called that) is where all 64 bit applications get installed, and there is another Steinberg and VSTPlugins folder there, where plugins for 64 bit applications to access go. You can also copy 32 bit plugins into this folder if you want your 64 bit apps to access them! But the 64 bit apps will need some form of ‘bridge’ or translator in order to use them, but as I mentioned, Cubase has a highly-advanced one built in now.

JBridge does clever stuff for you by putting special wrappers of 32 bit plugins in the 64 bit plugins folder - but it does it itself and just works very nicely, so it’s not too complicated, and you probably won’t need it anyway.

And you’ve got lots of mates here to help you out if anything goes really pear-shaped! Do you have access to a second computer/laptop/mobile device so you can still be online if things go wrong during OS installation?

Billum,

Okay, I can return the 32 bit, I will go for the 64 bit, you convinced me!

Yes I still can go online with a laptop.

I figured that Halion has sample libraries it’s better to go 64bit.
Also Melodyne editor works here but has some lags while editing, could this work better under 64bit.

Anyway, 64 bit it will be,

Thanks for the support guys!

Greetz Dylan.

-edit- ah okay, didn’t know that Cubase had a build in bridge. There were so much discussions on the previous forum, remembering that made me so anxcious.

Not sure about the lags with Melodyne editing - if it’s running out of memory and so having to swap stuff to disk, then yes the extra memory could well sort that out. If it’s something else, well maybe, but not certainly! :confused:

Well, I will (hopefully soon) find out.

+1 for windows 64 bit with cubase 32 bit !

If you install Win7 32 bit, you are restricted to 4GB overall system memory, which everthing has to share - including cubase, all plugins and Windows system stuff and other apps.
But on 64 bit windows, if you have more than 4GB installed, cubase 32bit can have a full 4GB all to itself.
And if jbridge your memory-hungry 64bit plugins, they can run in their own address space, so they don’t eat into cubases’ own 4GB.

Memory is so cheap these days - I just bought 12 GB for 40 pounds.

edit: i now see this topic is in a forum called
" Board index ‹ Computer / Studio Hardware & Setup ‹ English "

Okay so what I do is:

Install W7 64Bit
Install Cubase 32 Bit

Then all third party plugins I install as 32bit?
For example, Robpapen plugins can be downloaded as 32 or 64. But
in above configuration the 32 bit will suffice?

Then the third party hardware:

Novation controller
M audio controller
Podxt
Mackie onyx400F

I found 64bit drivers for all of them.
Now because Cubase will run as a 32bit in a 64 bit enviroment, do I need the 64bit or 32bit drivers for my external hardware??

If that question is answered I think I am good to go!! :smiley:

Well, not entirely, got a call from the store,(got it from:teach-music in Rotterdam) Halion was not on stock, so I get Cubase6 and Halion tomorrow grrrrr :smiling_imp: .

But all the more time to prepare.

Greetz Dylan.

Yes if you’re going to run Cubase as 32 bit, just install 32 bit plugins. You can install both 32 bit and 64 bit Cubase side by side, they’re quite friendly, if you like.

You could also install the 64 bit versions of plugins and use jBridge to use them in 32 bit Cubase, so they have access to more memory, but maybe do that after things have settled down a bit.

…or… why not run 64 bit Cubase from the start?

For drivers you just install the 64 bit ones I think - the 32 bit ones would just be for a 32 bit OS.

Yup you need 64 bit drivers (cos it’s a 64 bit O/S)

Well only one package will be the bottle neck. My Korg legacy analogue edition. On their site they state that the plugins will not work on a 64bit DAW, they do work in a 32bit daw on a 64 bit OS though, so that is the route I am taking. Then the Jbridge I will take up a little later.

Billum, again thanks for your time! Without help here on the forum I would be quite lost.
I learned a lot the past two days!

Greetz Dylan.

You’re coming from XP right?
I’m not entirely sure, but I think when you insert the windows 7 disc and boot up, it will attempt to upgrade your installation. That means it will try to keep as much of the settings you had. I find that the PC works faster if you go for an entirely clean install instead. If you get the choice, do a full format of your harddrive and only then install Windows 7. If you take the upgrade route however, it will keep a folder with all of your files, so if you forgot to back something up you can still save it. Your call :slight_smile:

an entirely clean install

That is the aim, I want every string of code to be gone, no old folders what soever, I just did a complete back up on a external drive. The stuff I use goed back after. A lot of projects, like 2 years older I will keep only as a back up.

Okay, but formatting is something I didn’t think of. Will look into that.
Ar you on facebook strophoid?

Greetz Dylan.

In fact if you’re upgrading from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Win7 (which we seemed to have talked Mr D into!) then you aren’t offered the update route, you have to have a clean install, which kinda makes sense, and as you say, is the cleaner option anyway. I always find I benefit from the clear-out and re-install of just what I’m actually still using, despite the fact that it takes quite a long time to get up to scratch again!

Yep, understand about the Korg Legacy plugins. I’d be very surprised if jBridge doesn’t sort them out quite happily, but you’re absolutely right to take it stage by stage.

Best of luck Dylan! See you on the other side… :slight_smile:

Yeah, you not only talked me into it , also got 4 gigs of ram extra. :smiley: so 8 in total.
Halion was still not on stock, so they send me the Cubase upgrade and the W7 anyway. Otherwise it’s going to be next week.
But I guess there is enough to do before installing Halion.

Billum, this better works! :smiling_imp:

Greetz Dylan.

why not install it as a dual-booting system?
If you have enough space to create a new disk partition in, you can install windows 7 into that. During install, it will give you the option of creating a dual-boot menu so you can boot into either OS.

Then you don’t have to trash anything until you’re 100% up and running, while still having the benefit of installing onto an empty disk.

Okay my os drive is 80 gigs, my audio drive is 500 gig.
The latter I also use for all my projects and sample content.
On the first drive I have OS and all my program files, right now I have 20 gigs left available so it’s pretty full.
Don’t think that will work. :frowning:

I’m not on Facebook, but I’ll PM you my MSN if that helps.

Hello, So far:

4 xtra gig installed
W7 installed
C6 installed
Most plug ins installed
Also cleaned inside PC, rewired cables.
To do

UAD, Melodyne, wavelab, Line 6
I had a lot of troubles, lot of hick ups and errors booting up W7 but I am not going to bother you with it. :slight_smile:
Now dinner and I really want to install the UAD tonight, then I can replay projects and see what happens.
But at the moment I am sooo tired. This really feels like work.

Maybe some tweaking and try to get my keycommands back, man I just can’t navigate through Cubase without them!

Thank you for talking me into the 64bit enviroment guys!!

Some thoughts…

Opening automation lanes by pressing on a plug in button…WAOW!!! That is a huge timesaver for me.
Also really like the new mixer layout.
What I don’t understand is that browsing throug presets is a lot slower? Also opening a VST instrument is slower.:frowning:

Greetz Dylan

I thought that too before I bought C6. But it turns out it only works for a handful of Steinberg VST3 plugins…

Here’s something I found useful in my migration to Win7 : “Driver Genius”
It finds up to date drivers for absolutely everything in your PC… really useful and it’d take you hours to hunt them down individually. It’s free for personal use…