XP....will it or won't it???

If it doesn’t work on XP it really is going to cost me nothing as I will not upgrade. As Yamaha have dropped driver support for the 01X for Windows 7 the cost for me to replace the 01X with another interface, mixing desk, controller plus the OS upgrade to replace something that is working perfectly is just not an option.

I know Steinberg doesn’t want to mention Yamaha but this statement on the Yamaha purchase of Steinberg turned out to be complete B@@@S@@t

With the acquisition of Steinberg, Yamaha plans to further promote the Studio Connection initiative and realize seamless technical integration of hardware, such as synthesizers and digital mixers, and software. Another goal of the acquisition is to expand the market by making it easier for both general users and professionals alike to create music in a broad variety of genres.

Bottom line just hoping that 6 will be fine on XP.

+1 for what Quietly said.

If I go to Win7, with my current mLan setup, I would have to give up:

Motif ES8 w/ mLan
Kurzweil KSP8 mLan interface
i88x to get everything else ITB
XP OS
Hours of reconfiguration and learning a new OS and keyboard interface.

So, to go to a “supported” OS, it would cost about, oh about $5000 USD for a clean transition plus my time.

No thanks, will take my chances with a $149 upgrade.

Or you may experience hours of down time, errors, glitches and other nonsense that will grind your “time” down to a halt. Your call…

Keep in mind that the more you wait, the more it can be costly.
The gap to fill between obsolete equipement (technology) could be very expensive in case of any hardware/software failure of any component in your chain that will force you to change everything for something else at the worst time (dixit Murphy’s law).

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Bernard

In my experience early adopters usually pay more for a technology than those who can wait a while.

In most negotiations or business deals, time ends up being the most important parameter. The person who can wait the longest is often the one controlling the deal and coming out with the best situation at the end.

This leads me to write that when making a purchase, patience is a supreme virtue. One might listen to the marketing rhetoric and hyperbole but one should analyze it calmly and objectively. There is almost certainly no reason to make a snap judgment and impulse purchase.

In my experience, patience and objectivity have usually led me to the most cost effective decisions.

Buying of the latest upgrade of one’s audio program - or not - is not exactly a business deal. If you wait for 6.01 or 6.2 or whatever, you still pay the same price for the upgrade.

I know I will be using the latest version in the end, so nothing lost by using the latest as it comes out. It’s not like it will irrepairably ruin the install of the previous version. So if I come across a definite show-stopper in the 6.0 version - I’ll just exit it and start up 5.5.2. And still be ahead of the ‘wise’ person waiting for 6.2, cause I have part of the learning curve behind me…

I consider the sale/purchase of a good or service to be a business deal. I would imagine that Steinberg considers their sale of upgrades to be business deals.

Software license prices in general (including prices for upgrades) vary based on time, channel to market and market location. Prices for Steinberg’s (among many others) licenses (initial or upgrades) have varied in the past depending on time, channel and location. As long as there are no major changes either at Steinberg or in the market mechanics, It is reasonable to assume that there will continue to be price differences based on time, channel and location in the future. Different channels to market in different markets will offer the upgrade for different prices at different times. In markets where the scarcity of the good is an issue, acting sooner rather than later can be a way for the purchaser to realize a comparative price advantage. In the software license market, where product availability is essentially unlimited, pricing often falls with time. In many markets where scarcity is not an issue, early adopters often pay a higher price than those who buy later on.

In addition, the current Steinberg EULA permits reselling of a license (update or otherwise) and as long as that continues, there is likely to be a used market as well. The used market is likely to offer price advantages and will also put pressure on the price of a fresh license.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Mark Twain

I consider a deal something having been negotiated - not a simple transaction like giving a person money in exchange for the right to use their software for a fixed price decided by them. But indeed, if you wait long enough, C6 will be on the second hand market and you’re likely to pay less than new. Maybe then you can make a deal…

Luck, Arjan

You can’t compare the second hand market of goods and software licenses at the same level.
A license is a right to use a software not an ownership. Be happy than Steinberg allows reselling licenses, most EULA do not permit. There is no lost value in a second hand software license compared to second hand goods.

Cheers,
Bernard

been on xp sp 3 with net frame 3.5 with sp1 as adviced , loaded up including preset info from c5.52 ,tried elastic pro

amp rack old imported project from c5 , running with out a problem at the mo ,install was straight forward ,so yes it seems to be stable on xp

regards
freq

Hi Everyone,

I got in early as my Cubase 6 Grace Period Update has arrived, and it works fine on my XP 32-bit system!!! Just tried a few things, so nothing serious. But it installs and works just like any other copy of Cubase I’ve used! :smiley:

I hope that answers all of your prayers and questions!!

Best regards,

Neil.

Cubase 6 on Win XP pro sp3 (with .net framework 3.5 sp1) working fine here also.
Maybe I won’t have to discard my Emagic amt8… :smiley:
Paolo