XPXPXP!!!

Why go on and on about this, when you’ve already drawn replies in other threads that give perfectly sensible reasons why some users WILL continue to use WXP for perhaps a couple more years? However many times you state your own opinion, those reasons will still exist.

That’s not to imply that Steinberg ought to ensure that its newest software still works with XP - that’s a different consideration.

I’ve still got old PCs running W95 & W98 and performing useful roles - one of them gets used several times almost every week. I won’t either try in vain to put W7 on them or give up using them simply because they won’t run a modern OS. Without knowing what computers I use and why, no-one could have any basis for telling me I’m foolish to still frequently use a PC running W98. Nor can anyone legitimately tell everyone else they ought to give up WXP.

Unless you provide well-thought-out recommendations that, not only (a) involve an explanation of why WXP users’ current approach fails to properly address THEIR objectives, but also (b) give due regard to their budgets, all you’re actually doing is re-stating your own POV. And, surely you MUST be able to understand that your opinion - however apt it might be in your own circumstances - may well have no relevance to the valid, sensible working methods of some people on this forum.

And, as several others have said: "If it ain’t broke … ".

Or, to put all that another way: “Horses for courses.”

Oh, and I’m not going to throw away my old Atar ST/STE computers, no matter how restrictive their OS may be.

No, but you’re not going to clog the forums with moronic threads about how stupid Steinberg is for not releasing C6 on Atari either.

well put +1

i sure when you receive your copy of c6 i’ll have to wade through the topics that you write about win 7 and the point is ?

The point is that OS’s, Hardware and Software move on. When that happens, no one forces anyone to quit using what they already have. Software companies would be irresponsible to not mold their software to the upcoming technologies. They also have limited resources.

If I write something specific about W7, it will be because it is the supported OS of this version of Cubase. Let me give you an example. Cubase still has vestiges of a windowing paradigm from Widows 3.1 and Windows 95. Why? Why would they now choose the 1 million popups approach to replace some of that paradigm, when that has already lived and died a horrible flaming death as a bad user experience alternative? Why would they not choose an interface paradigm that both Apple and MS have settled on? There is a reason that the UI distinction between the two have started to merge. Notice the popular flavors of Linux are starting to look like OSX and W7. It’s because users perfer the software that they use be integrated with the desktop and it’s features. So, that any software they use behaves like any other software they use.

Even after that rant, it only has to do with how the program functions on the supported OS. When it is Win12, I’ll be whining about what they are not doing properly on Win12, not questioning why they don’t support Win7.

you mean you haven’t got windows 12 yet ,ppaaahh your abit behind the future ! :laughing:

i do agree with some of what your saying but i 've only seen a couple of posts jm about people asking a simple question "will it or wont it " but the major debate has started by win 7 users not understanding the reasons why we have stayed on xp , i don’t care personally if its supported or not ,if it works for me i’ll use it and also build a higher spec daw to be in advance of the technology thats going to be forth coming ,thats the way i work , we all work different ways ,different os no one is right or wrong ,at the end of the day if your happy with what you’ve got then no reason to change .
i understand your point of view but there is still more of this to come as you gentleman across the water install and there are quite a few users over there still using xp , we are all here for the same reason "creativity " and weather its xp or 7 ,cubase ,logic in the end they are just tools to aid so there is no reason for people to be snobby (not aimed at you personally) about it !
nearly forgot ,if your a gear junkie like myself you can take advantage of all you people that are throwing away equipment as its not compatible and by god i love it !!
pheewwww thats that ,beer time ! :wink:

kind regards
john

Filter, I can be a bit of a jerk at times. But, it usually happens in situations like this, when I’ve read the same XP thread 42 times. The answer was always simple.

It will PROBABLY work, but you are on your own.

But, people won’t accept that and keep bitching about it.

My favorite one, was from a guy who decided to start his own thread with something like

“I read on another thread that C6 won’t work on XP, this is not acceptable”

First, the thread he referenced was from a guy who posted “IT WORKS” … All the other idiot had to do was read the thread. But, instead of reading the freakin forum, people just jump right to posting total BS. It’s right up there with the posts that start

HUUUUGE BUGGGG OMG HOW CAN THIS BE???
reply #1: uhm preferences->some setting
OP: oh, why would they hide that setting and why isn’t the default the way I want it?

aaahhh i don’t realise jm , thats understandable if he only had to read the thread.
we can all be noob heads at time . it would of been better to keep it all in one thread in stead of the countless threads on the subject , so does it work on xp then ?? :laughing: :laughing:
i for one am looking forward to the end of the honeymoon and it all settles to the basic needs and necessities of topic’s related to bugs fixes and alocohol related subjects !

regards
john

those usually go hand in hand :smiley:

Sorry if I annoyed, irritated or otherwise made someones situation not to their liking with my post. This was not my intention.

I guess in retrospect, my summary should have been, as has been pointed out, that sooner or later there is a “last” version that works on “older” OS’s. The point on 64-bit (in particular) seem to be right around the corner, unfortunately for many. Not that the “older” OS’s wont be around, but like the “opposition” of VST3 says: “it’s costly to develop for yet another plug-in standard”, companies like Steinberg has to face similar choices.

So likely, a lot of applications, will be 64-bit only soon, in which case OS’s like XP and others, will be in the same shoes as, for example, Atari ST. Good or bad, the world will have simply moved beyond its capabilities.

At that point, migrators might face a larger transition gap. Meaning, a harder hurdle to overcome.

(Sorry again, for the “intrusive” post.)

It’s not that big a deal. The annoying part was that your Topic was added to page 1 where there was a minimum of 5 other Topics with XP in the title already. But, it’s a community internet forum. Use it as you see fit.

In my case I have to disagree. I run C5 (soon to be C6) on two home-built DAWS. In addition to the 126GBP upgrade cost, I cannot possibly afford 2 x Windows 7 upgrades as well.

Having been with Steinberg since the Atari days, I have no wish to be dislodged from the Cubase upgrade path, so I naturally choose to upgrade to C6 if it is within my already stretched budget.

Therefore if C6 runs OK on XP, then that is what, through sheer impoverishment, I have stay with.

If one day C7 comes along and won’t run on anything but Windows 8 or whatever, then that will probably be the end of the line for me.

Very grand of you.

As a side note to all XP users that read this topic. It probably would not be a bad idea to post your experiences with Cubase 6 on XP for other users. Just an idea! :slight_smile:

You mean like this one?

or this one?

or this one?

etc…

Cubase 6 here running fine with XP SP3 on my secondary (Internet) machine and XP SP2 on my main DAW.

It seemed that Netframe was required on the Internet connected machine only in order to update the elicenser.

With the dongle updated and transferred to the main DAW, C6 then installed without a hitch. A few tweaks and that was that.

Looks good, works good.

Yes, absolutely! Does not really matter in what topic it is posted, unless there’s an “official” :wink: topic about the XP experience. It would still be a resource for less fortunate people.

I think it says a lot that Steinberg has found Win7 worth supporting EXCLUSIVELY so soon after its release (and before SP1!). All their eggs in one basket!

That says a lot for how stable and reliable they think (and probably tested) Win7 is.

you said it .win 7 is not a bit stable , look at the amount of posts with issues of 3rd party plugin’s having to bridge ,lolol what a load of trollacks stay with 32 bit till steiny sort out drivers ,

How does this attest to the instability of Windows 7?