I tried this too but no matter what I do the “Xylophone” keeps the wrong behaviour.
Ah, now that you express it I realize that indeed the behaviour of the program at the moment when you create a project should be indeed maintened in some cases like this one.
So this probably confirms that somewhere in the old project (which is the base for my template) the wrong behaviour for the xylophone is saved somewhere.
I verified in the old project where the template comes from and in this project I did not care for playback (for the xylophone) just because of this wrong behaviour.
I simply wrote the xylophone part as it should be (an octave lower) and to make sure the musician plays the right octave I additionally wrote: “Sounds one octave higher”.
I am also not aware of any kind of compensation I would have done and in this older project the xylophone sounds as written instead of an octave higher.
And now in my new project based on this old project this behaviour has been (unfortunately though comprehensively) transferred and the xylophone sounds as written and not an octave higher as it should.
Is it what you get? You get two “Xylophones” you can choose from?
This is not what happens on my system.
If I create a new instrument I can choose between Bass Xylophone, Alt Xylophone, Xylophone and Sopran Xylophone.
There are not two xylophones.
Also after I create a new instrument choosing Xylophone there is still only one “Xylophone” to choose from.
And creating a new “Xylophone” in either the old project or in the new project which is based (via template) on the old project always leads to the xylophone sounding as written instead of sounding an octave higher.
Choosing “Xylophone” in a completely new project made from scratch and based on nothing the xylophone sounds one octave higher as it should.
Is there a way to get rid of this wrong behaviour without having to create a project completely from scratch?
I am very dependent on templates because in the meantime I need for example 17 different master pages for a project.
I use them for Cover, several kind of Titles, Content, Instrument Lists, several kind of Empty pages with or without copyright or page numbers.
It is quite a lot of work to re-create these master pages and it is a real time saver to have all these master pages ready when I begin a new project.
I even use Layouts from older projects because this way I do not have to always add title pages and empty pages at the beginning of each part.
BTW this particular issue is a reason for me to again ask for the ability to export/import single master pages and master pages sets. I would even ask for the possibility to export/import Layouts as this can also be very usefull.
It seems that using templates based on previous projects leads to probably not so clean projects possibly keeping wrong or outdated behaviours from older Dorico versions.