Yamaha USB driver update warning

A cautionary tale, these newest Yamaha USB drivers trashed my iMac on Catalina OS with Cubase 10. They locked and froze the rig. I had to re-install the OS to get the computer working again. Immediately uninstalled those drivers and everything is back to normal and working correctly again.

Lee

Hi,

Could you motioned the exact driver version, please?

Not sure, it’s the one that shows in my Cubase 10 menu at start up recommending an update. After crash, I uninstalled it.

After hunting around, it’s version 2.02

Lee

I have Macbook Pro with MacOS Catalina 10.5.2 and Yamaha MODX8. I installed he Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V2.0.2 but there is no sound even when I select the MODX as System Output.

Hi and welcome,

Make sure the driver is allowed in the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General, please.

Also make sure Cubase is allowed in the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Microphone, please.

I have been having issues on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 with the Yamaha Steinberg MIDI driver V2.0.5 not installing correctly. It goes through the install without errors but will not show up. I want to use my Yamaha 01V96 V2 mixer as the control surface like I have in the past with my old computer but with Catalina it is just not working. I’m about ready to do a full restore of the OS and start the task of install all over.

What should I see and in what libraries? I see this, is there another library that should have something? The driver has never worked on this computer and I have tried this newest driver and a couple of the older versions.

macOS/library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/YamahaSteinbergUSBMIDI.plugin
and
YAMAHA-USBMIDIDriver.plugin

Thanks

Hi,

Is the driver 64-bit, please?

Make sure Cubase has enabled Mic in the System Preferences, please.
Open macOS System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone. Enable Cubase here.

Hi, Martin, yes it is. I tried even to uninstall, reboot, install again a couple of times. I have two other drivers from Roland (A46 and UM-1) and they both work fine and I can see them on the Audio/MIDI setup screen. Is there a way to manually uninstall every trace of the driver? I tried the uninstall that is in the package and it must leave some trace of it. About the only thing I can think of is a complete restore of my Mac and install the driver first thing before any other software. That as I’m sure you know, is a long process.

I was able to get the driver to work finally. I did a clean install of macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and then it installed. I did find and issue with the ports being aligned. On the Yamaha mixer I had assigned the usb to 3-4 and in cubase the same assignment but the audio/midi apple utility was set to port 1 and I was not getting any signals.

Note to self: make sure all the ports are aligned.