Yet Another Grouse About Two Open CPRs: Shared Settings

In my never-ending quest to get SOME attention to the fraught state of working with multiple CPRs.

1. Open a CPR.

2. Go to the end of a track, say ‘Piano’ and noodle some junk for another song. Totally unrelated.

3. Now… create a new, Empty CPR just to dump yer idea for later use. Here are just some of the challenges

a. I’m still in the original CPR. I select the MIDI event for ‘Piano’ and Ctrl-C to copy it. Great.

b. Now I go to the new CPR. I -can- create an empty MIDI track for ‘Piano’ without having to Activate. (Yea!)

c. But notice that the cursor in the new (empty) CPR is pointing at Bar 348… the same bar as in my original CPR. IOW: Cubase isn’t tracking the new CPR cursor position independently of the old one. What I -expect- is that when I create a new CPR, the cursor should be at BAR ONE. Uno. Ein.

d. And look at that? There is already a Selection Range. And guess what? It’s also grandfathered in from the original CPR. Again, Cubase isn’t starting off with an independent set of locators.

I could go on (there are many other settings that carry over), but you get the idea. If Cubase can’t allow for multiple ACTIVE CPRs, at the very least, when you create a new CPR, it should default to a ‘clean slate’ and not carry over settings from any other open CPRs.

And then there’s the issue where, even though I haven’t activated the new CPR, when I close it to go back to my original CPR, Cubase -still- goes through the ‘re-loading’ crap which takes 2-3 minutes. Grrrrrrr.

Part of this is just a tutorial question.

In my never-ending quest to get SOME attention to the fraught state of working with multiple CPRs.

1. Open a CPR.

2. Go to the end of a track, say ‘Piano’ and noodle some junk for another song. Totally unrelated.

3. Now… create a new, Empty CPR just to dump yer idea for later use. Here are just some of the challenges

a. I’m still in the original CPR. I select the MIDI event for ‘Piano’ and Ctrl-C to copy it. Great.

b. Now I go to the new CPR. I -can- create an empty MIDI track for ‘Piano’ without having to Activate. (Yea!)

You didn’t notice that the new file was activated when you created it. If you open a template or existing file you could say to the dialog asking if you want to activate it. Also there is no need to create a MIDI track, you can simply past the part in and the track will be created.

And then there’s the issue where, even though I haven’t activated the new CPR, when I close it to go back to my original CPR, Cubase -still- goes through the ‘re-loading’ crap which takes 2-3 minutes. Grrrrrrr.

This won’t happen if you don’t activate the other project.

Officious. Ignore the meat and criticise the salad forks.

Cubase improperly carries over junk from the previous CPR. Full stop.

And yeah, I notice details. But I don’t care. The point is that there’s no -smooth- idiot-proof workflow to just drop an idea onto a new CPR without a lot of dinking around. Apparently that’s not a big deal to you.

I’m not here for ‘recipes’. They know all the grouses already. They’ve heard 'em ALL a thousand times. They just need to put these sorts of workflow and ease of use issues to the top of the punch list.

—JC

Copy part
New Project, select a template
Don’t activate
Paste
Close

Oh and BTW… I omitted the ‘Activate Project’ bit because when you create a new Empty Project you are not given a choice. It is -automatically- activated whether you like it or not. Another UX issue.